EPF 2023 dividend, Conventional 5.5%, Shariah 5.4%

@amanda88 As explained above, CPI already takes into account the purchase of imported goods… if you exclude imported goods, inflation would be a lot lower, hence EPF’s real returns would look even better!

@rherrero Last I check CPI do not include laptop or handphones.

Don’t buy any of those.

Also the way CPI works, it substitute product with the cheapest one on the market. And guess if they are imported? Also CPI has just a small bucket of items that our government controls like a game.

Like I said, don’t buy imported goods. Drink the koolaid.

@amanda88 Laptops, handphones and tablets are included as part of the 'Communication' basket in Malaysia's CPI.

CPI also does not substitute products with the cheapest one in the market. As per Department of Statistics Malaysia, "The CPI measures the cost of purchasing a constant 'basket' of goods and services by households in a specified time period". In fact, if you studied economics at high school, one of the drawbacks of CPI is exactly that it uses a constant basket of goods, whereas in reality, when something gets more expensive consumers would substitute to cheaper alternatives. Hence, CPI actually slightly overstates inflation. For practical purposes, it's impossible for DOSM to track this substitution accurately in real time, which is why it's not done.

https://open.dosm.gov.my/dashboard/consumer-prices

@rherrero The issue is inflation hits everyone differently. Yes, you can and should look at inflation selectively.

If a particular set of foods: meat, vegatable, nuts and foods go up 10%, and your budget for household food is 30-40% of your pay, then it hits you significantly.

But if you make 100k, then food becomes a small portion of your income, then the inflation of imported goods becomes significant i.e. civic/mazda3, Iphone, laptops, etc.

For some countries the property prices soar to the point where a median income can't save enough to overcome appreciation. If you want a house, it doesn't mean shit if the inflation rate says it's 2% but property go up 20%.