EOB says paid, have outstanding bill

joel05

Hi there! I’m not sure if this is the correct place for this, but I’m in need of assistance.

This summer, I was transferred from a local hospital to one in a larger city via ambulance. The ambulance and both hospitals are all under the same group (like imagine St. Vincent Town A, St. Vincent town B, St. Vincent ambulance). Because I had had a major surgery, and this was a complication from said surgery, I had already met my max out of pocket and everything should be 100% covered. The two hospitals are roughly 30 minutes apart, for what it’s worth.

In late October, I received a bill for over $1,000. They say that all ambulances are out of network. No matter what. So I talked to my insurance person at work, and apparently my insurance is reprocessing it.

I got a call today saying I’d be going to collections if I did not pay the bill in a short period of time. I told him all of the above and that insurance says they are in network. He said they would have to send them a copy of the contract to prove that, but I had to get it in by the end of the month or I would be going to collections. I then called insurance, and the representative told me they would start reprocessing it, that I’d probably owe money after that, and I should go ahead and pay it if I didn’t want to be sent to collections. My contact in our HR said that wasn’t what her contact said, and she’d reach out.

Obviously, I’m stressed about this. I know $1,000 isn’t a huge amount (compared to other costs in the medical field) in the grand scheme of things, but with everything else this year, it’s a lot.

My friend suggested that this would be covered by the no surprise billing law, and I’m kind of at a loss on where to go from here. If I have an EOB showing I owe $0, I don’t understand how they are charging me. And I’ve tried to show the billing company the EOB and they refuse to look at it.

Does anyone have any type of advice? Thank you.

Edit to add: age 38, zip 42430, income $39,000.

@joel05 Sure. I’d let your hr company know about the collection threat. Many states have laws about medical bills ending up on your credit. I’d Google the info for your state

@pragmatix Hey! It’s a much much later time, but I got the all clear. My insurance and the ambulance company agreed that the ambulance WAS IN NETWORK (insurance was adamant they had an agreement and must have shown it finally) and I owe $0. A great relief as I am no having other health issues!

@joel05 Yes. Ambulance providers do not join networks. They realize patients have no choice on what company to use or in an emergency situation, whether or not to utilize services. I think this issue might be addressed in the surprise billing act legislation recently passed. What state are you in?

@pragmatix I will definitely check that out but I have a new question. I was perusing my benefits book and it shows that ambulance transport is covered at 80% once deductible is met, then 100% once out of pocket max is met. Despite them being out of network, does that not mean that they should be covered?

@joel05 Are you insured through your employer or the exchange? If through your employer, do you know if the company is fully insured or partially self-funded? Employers with self-funded plans can make calls in situations where the benefit it not straight forward in some situations.

Have you met your annual deductible and your out-of-pocket maximum? These are accumulating numbers that should be available on your insurance companies website when you sign in. If it's a PPO there's most likely different deductibes and co-insurance maximum for in vs out of network benefits.

Call the customer service number listed on your ID card and explain your situation and the schedule of benefits you are looking at. I'd be very nice to the claims rep to try and get them on your side. The more polite the better....you can't believe how nasty people can be. . It's probably 911 that dispatched the call for an ambulance so I would let the customer service rep know it wasn't an option for you choose the ambulance provider. Did the ambulance take you to an in-network facility? Be ready to put this all out there and if they won't agree to reprocess it over the phone, go to your HR department (assuming it's through your employer) and follow up with a written appeal.

As a last resort, get the hospital or your doctor and don't miss any deadlines for appeal dates, etc.

Probably too much information but fuck, trying to help people navagate this nightmare of an industry.

@pragmatix They agreed to reprocess today, but they said the company needed to request for reprocessing. It is employer. I’ve met my deductible and out of pocket max. I was transferred from a hospital in my town to one 30 minutes away—the hospital wouldn’t let my mom drive me. I had a blood clot. The hospitals and ambulance are all the same company, and the hospitals are definitely in network. I’m not sure about if it is self funded or not, but I do have my insurance HR person helping me with it. I typically would have gone to the bigger ER, but I had a fairly high temp and the pain was so bad I couldn’t drive and when it happened, my mom was at work and I had to get a friend to take me to the ER. I try to be very nice to the workers, but I probably did get a little short when they said that they wouldn’t be able to help me and that the billing company would have to call them. After I had just got off the phone with the billing company, who told me that my insurance would have to call them. Also, my insurance is very adamant that the ambulance is in network. It’s just a mess, and now I’m looking at going down to eating just the cheap ramen indefinitely so they don’t send this to collections and ruin my credit. (I also hope that I’m not coming across rude here—it’s been a rough day on top of a very very bad few months).

@joel05 Ambulance billing is indeed a thing.

My father in his 90's was a frequent flyer to the hospital because he had congestive heart failure.

The hospital was literally 1/2 mile away from where he lived.

He was always billed even though he was on Medicare with Medigap policy.

Almost all of the time he was transported by the City EMT ambulance service and they would send a bill. Honestly he would just ignore it. He was 95 - had no need for worrying about his potential credit rating.

We never would receive a follow up bill or even a modified EOB in which ambulance billing was addressed. I have no idea whether the bill was immediately dropped by the City (Los Angeles) after the initial bill was sent to us or whether in some way there was some kind of flat rate deal EMT had with Medicare.