Enjoying a life not spent working 24/7

@karengodsgirlk2 Oh my you’ve been brainwashed watching too much mainstream news. You and your drop out hippy friends are not going to stop climate change. Go and get a job and contribute to society positively. The reality is that their are many things that are going to end humanity long before a slight warning of the planet

@karengodsgirlk2 Honestly I don’t if it’s even so much about climate change. I have a few gen Z friends and the sentiment is “what’s the point in working so hard, for what?” a lot of them express concerns about potentially never being able to own a property at all. Owning a home is still the Australian dream for a lot of people. Even in the cities, many apartments are becoming out of reach. They know the market fluctuates, but they believe by the time they’re in their mid 30s the average house prices will be 2 million or something insane. They fear they will have to keep saving until they’re 50 to even able to afford a deposit.

Some of them are very passionate about their work, especially in creative or science roles, but for office-types, I get the vibe that they just don’t want to do 5 days, they don’t care about the rat race. They look around at their peers earning whopping wads of cash from selling their personalities on social media. From live streaming themselves playing video games, from sharing their lives on social media and earning very good pay checks through sponsored posts etc. Heck, if you’re good enough, you can make 6 figures selling feet pics online.

@karengodsgirlk2
Do you think people would start to use their extra time to start preparing for climate change and taking action as it becomes more of a near-term threat?

No.

I know this is a very specific question but as a Gen Z myself, I see climate change as a bigger near term stress than getting a good job rn... like, if we're going with the carrot and stick, isn't the potential gains for stopping climate change way better and the stick a thousand times worse?

No, that's not important.

Touch grass, climate change end of the world hysteria will only distract you from improving your life in tangible ways. Think of how you can improve your life and then do that.