Enjoying a life not spent working 24/7

@karengodsgirlk2
Do you think people would start to use their extra time to start preparing for climate change and taking action as it becomes more of a near-term threat?

No, I think you'll just whinge about the social contract being broken and prior generations causing climate change.

@karengodsgirlk2 How can one work the bare minimum and enjoy life? A lot of people I know work more than full time and just cover expenses, despite being conscious of making unnecessary purchases.
Comes from a very priviledged standpoint I assume

@karengodsgirlk2 I feel sorry for anyone who plans their life around “the climate emergency”. I think they are going to be bitterly upset when they realize what they were sold vs what the reality is.

Edit: I should probably have foreseen the downvotes. Leaving this here anyways as it’s genuine and I’m still waiting for someone to change my mind on it.

My worry about climate change is as follows: overreaction by doing things like putting quotas on fertilizers etc. it will reduce our food creation from say 3x what AU needs to more like 1x. We will import food and not export it and poorer countries will starve in the 100’s of millions because every productive food country does the same in the name of climate change. Capping food production to the levels that each country needs is such low hanging fruit that it will be the goto. Countries that are mass importers of food like China will need to fight the world for their food. This is the real worry.

@cielo77 You should look up regenerative agriculture. Permaculture is another one. If neither of those spark your interest, then look into the soil cycle. Fertilizers destroy the natural cycle of soil. It's like pouring sand onto your crops. It just starts the cycle from square one, not allowing the soil to build up and grow. Not to mention all the chemical impacts. The fact that we can grow food now with monocrops and with fertilizer is almost a miracle, because it's so impractical it's ridiculous. It's very useful for mass production and commercial sale, but modern agriculture is just that: modern. It doesn't have longevity, there are older systems that are more productive, that have worked for tens of thousands of years. The only catch is, these regenerative systems aren't as commercially viable. They make plenty of food, but it's not monocropping, so it's hard to get a machine in there. But if it's in your garden, it's easy for a human to grab what they need, because the entire pantry is there.

TL;DR yeah modern agriculture is going under eventually. Regenerative agriculture doesn't share the same pitfalls

@karengodsgirlk2 Hi Razbey,

There is a video on YouTube from a farmer. He explains how much goes into avoiding using fertiliser on farms. All of the things you list + much more. They do everything to minimise its use in the west,.. why? Because its stupid expensive. The idea that western farmers are running their farms into the ground is unsubstantiated. We have all sorts of soil testing and maintenance services that are designed to get the most out of peoples farms. It make economic sense to get the most out of farms.

In the end if we do all that and then they quota it/make it too expensive via taxes etc anyway it will just effect production.

Oh wow I found it in my history:

On another note it completely saddens me that people feel the way you do. I really want to understand it and work out how to help. So if you ever want to engage about subjects I am down.

@cielo77 Watched the video, I think I get where you're coming from a little more now.

In that video, pretty much they're forced to do less of what they've been doing in the name of lowering emissions. That sounds good on paper but in reality it puts the farmers in a difficult position. My understanding is that regenerative agriculture techniques can fill in that gap and help farmers transition away from fertilizers over time- in an ideal world. In reality, they've just announced the goals to lower use of fertilizers without doing that extra step and replacing that lost productivity.

I was glad to see he used manure and also had some cover for wildlife, although it's standard, that's what I'm talking about when I say regenerative agriculture or for example permaculure.

Here is a video that explains it:

If you need/want more specific info this series can help (I don't expect you to watch it all tho it's very long 😅)

http://www.networkearth.org/perma/culture.html#Permaculture

Please let me know if I have misunderstood your comment anywhere as same here, I also want to understand.

@karengodsgirlk2 You realise modern agriculture is the only way we can feed the world's current population?

Look at countries like new Zealand growing beef on what was rocks on some areas thanks to a rediculous amount of fertilizer. People simply wouldn't survive in these areas without modern practices at least not in the numbers they currently do.

@polygon I disagree with this. I think fossil fuels are priced by a cartel and hold us back heavily as a society. Its like a tax. You have to keep buying it and they get together to ensure the pricing stays where they want it. As everything is just energy (human or other) it really holds us back. Renewables are getting cheaper then fossil fuels even factoring in storage.

If we electrify and automate everything including the manufacture of solar panels and batteries then eventually power costs will tend towards zero (this will never happen with fossil fuels due to them having some rarity + cartel pricing). Eventually we wouldnt even need to mine, just recycle what we have. If we even covered 1% of the land of the planet with panels and went fully electric then we would have 10-15x the work (in the physics sense) done that we have done now.

In this high energy future everyone would be super wealthy compared to today.

To clarify I am not anti fossil fuel. I think we should dig them up and send them to developing nations (as cheaply as we can sell them, almost as aid) to help get them get to where we will be. At the same time we should set them up with sustainable and renewable energy as soon as we can (after us because we need to work it all out ourselves before we pawn it onto others).