Energy cost of devices on standby in my home [Updated inc oct price cap]

@basharg I put my microserver that I use for media streaming on a sleep schedule, so only runs 5pm-1am weekday and then all weekend. Which helps keeps the costs down.

@basharg I'm amazed at how inexpensive the LG C1 OLED is on standby. It's recommended not to switch off at wall as it does pixel resets but Ive seen posts saying it'll save alot for TVs. Good to know it's not really impactful here.

@basharg Thank you for doing the work we all needed at this time.

I just got the same HPE Microserver and I'm in shock atm how much it will cost me to run...

@basharg Do you have a blank editable version of that sheet you could post? I’m sure it would help quite a few folks working out what could do with getting shut off this winter.

@basharg This deserves gold but I have too many network switches so can't afford premium... Like I seriously never even thought they would use anywhere near that...

@basharg I see no toaster or kettle mentioned. I guess they don't exactly have a "standby" mode. So does this mean they consume no electricity whilst plugged in and not in use?

@basharg You need to leave a fridge freezer on so that’s a given and if youre really that worried about 13p/annum for most of these then its probably time to sell all of your possessions anyway- you certainly cant afford posh coffee!

@ashergol The process was plugging each device into an energy meter and setting to standby, then waited for usage reading to stabilise (some devices drop off over time e.g. VM v6 box took 10 minutes to reduce to standby power) and recording it.

@basharg Not to complain but these needs a nice little image at the bottom of the thread we can click on to quickly see a summar of the data (for those in mobile). But thank you regardless

@basharg How long did you test the fridge freezer for? Your numbers look really close to the official listed annual energy use for it from the product data sheet.

I swear mine is using a lot more energy but I need to get a measuring plug to test the theory properly

@basharg This is very useful. Someone should make an app that would help personalise it to you as smart meters are not accessible to everyone and even some smart meters energy breakdowns can be undesirable

Back