Employment gain in April driven by part-time work / La hausse de l’emploi observée en avril est attribuable au travail à temps partiel

@audreyl No matter what is reported a recession will happen as the power of the middle class grew too quickly during covid.

There needs to be a systemic reminder that people “should be happy for any job”

@operatoractual I know you jest, but for those actually wondering, the multiple jobholders report shows an relative increase of 55,000 people having multiple jobs since Trudeau became PM.

@ec0684 Hello, part-time employment consists of persons who usually work less than 30 hours per week at their main or only job.

Part-time employment could be for a permanent job (no pre-determined termination date) or a temporary job (pre-determined end date; four groups: seasonal; temporary, term or contract, including work done through a temporary help agency; casual job; and other temporary work). We hope this helps :)

@theprodigalwoman That's absolutely bullshit. Either you misunderstood the course, or they were wrong. Part time jobs are still jobs and they are crucial to the workforce too. Many people need or prefer part time work. And stats Canada has always counted them towards employment metrics

@audreyl So while I do understand that wage growth is up I don't completely understand the increase percentage. Also it seems to me that wages would be increasing as a lot of companies and even certain government sectors either haven't seen a wage increase in over three years or wages stopped increasing over the pandemic. Also other signs are showing cracks in the import numbers that were released yesterday. Seems to me that while the labor market is still tight, if we removed the high immigration numbers it would look terrible.

@kruick
Seems to me that while the labor market is still tight, if we removed the high immigration numbers it would look terrible.

Tight would be the unemployment rate, which should be unchanged regardless of immigration, so the labour market would be even tighter with less immigration.

If you're referring to the number of employed persons, yes that would would be shrinking without immigration due to people leaving the workforce (demographics).