Employment gain in April driven by part-time work / La hausse de l’emploi observée en avril est attribuable au travail à temps partiel

@sa_m Why would I care about what some other guy said? More succinctly, why did you think I would care about what some other guy said?

@sa_m When I saw this this morning my immediate thought was “that’s how many Canadians are seeking part time employment on TOP of their full time job to make ends meet.” You’re right, I too think this is “really bad”. And I wish they’d dive deeper into the numbers. It makes a big difference in the message. Feds give themselves a pat on back” vs “It’s F*cking Bad Folks”.

@sa_m How can this possibly be really bad or even bad? Unemployment rate is still stuck near historic low of 5% and not budging while wages continue to increase more than inflation

Unless you mean bad for inflation because of high wage growth and low unemployment still?

With the labour market remaining relatively tight, average hourly wages were up 5.2 per cent compared with a year ago, growing faster than inflation.

@esdras 41,000 jobs is the topline. Ok, sure. Part time or full time, doesn't really matter.

The workforce grew by 47,000. Immigration by 78,000.

Point is, immigration is currently the driver of workforce growth since not all immigrants are of working age.

Our economy is not producing enough jobs for workforce growth. We should be expecting high jobs numbers just to keep up with all the immigrants Trudeau keeps bringing in at record levels.

On top of that, as others have mentioned, growth is in part time work and not full time work in productive sectors.

This is not a good sign for output per capita or output in general.

@resjudicata Also not good for GDP, is the fact that those stellar job numbers the feds were bragging about post Covid were 31% civil jobs. Everyone running to government work is not actually good for the economy and specifically, GDP growth because, other than income taxes, it does nothing for the economic growth. 31% of job growth is bonkers.

@mag8166 Statistics Canada is the agency charged to provide the counts, often collected from other agencies, so it stands to reason that they are the only one you are going to count on. That is their whole reason for existence.

@garryson Involuntary part-timers didn't change meaningfully, though. Of those who are recorded as being part-time, most either want to be or have to be (e.g. due to illness).

Thing is, people also leave the workforce. It is quite possible that all 80,000 people now have full-time employment.

@looploop Or get extra job because it's so much easier with wfh/hybrid. I know of a few people who have two jobs because they can with wfh/hybrid and their employers don't know.

Also some people are just bored and do gig work. Like my friend who does UE sometimes in his M3 because he's bored and has few hours to kill. He tried to sign up to do Uber before with his Porsche but they wouldn't let him because it was a 2 door eventhough he just wanted to do UE.

My dad signed up too but he never actually drove anyone lol

@esdras
I know of a few people who have two jobs because they can with wfh/hybrid and their employers don't know.

I've been doing that for decades, but I tell the employer. My current employer on one side was even like "When things get busy with your other job you can take some paid time off."