Employer won’t issue me a T4, not sure how to proceed

jodiemurray

So I actually quit working for this guy a couple months ago (small electrical company). I talked to my old coworker and he hasn’t received his either but seems unbothered by it.

I’ve called, texted multiple times about it and at first he would just say he’s “working on it” but now he doesn’t even answer my calls or texts. I talked to my accountant and she said she can do an educated guess by my last paystub of the year but I assume I 100% have to get it eventually? Am I going to get fined? Will he get fined?

Things got weird the last while I was working there. I would have to bother him every payday to pay me and at the end he was just e-transferring and I checks the website he uses and there’s no pay stubs for this past January February when I was working.

@jodiemurray Contact individual enquiries at CRA, and make an employee complaint. They’ll send a payroll examiner out (eventually), who will audit their payroll and issue T4s if they weren’t issued. They’ll issue amended T4s if they need to make corrections.

@jodiemurray Legally he has to provide you your t4 by February 28th. If it goes much beyond that you have the right to contact CRA & they will deal with him. And also responding to the other commenter you should be able to retrieve it through the GOV website if he has actually submitted your info.

@jodiemurray Did you check your CRA account?? They legally have to submit by February..... If they didn't they're gonna be in deep doodoo.

Most people don't actually get emailed or handed a t4 anymore because it's just submitted to the CRA so that's probably why it's having issues.

But... If it's not online either... Have you checked with your tax person, your CRA account or a online tax service? It'll tell you what t4s it will pull.

@jodiemurray I had an employer do this once . After service canada failed to do much I went to my local MLA.. after he tried not doing mucg I wrote him it was fine that I'd contact the news since MLA won't help .. magically that day the mla contacted me and next day service canada was hard on the case .

@jodiemurray You should use your last one at stub of 2023 to in place of your T4. It will have the key numbers.

You can complain to CRA about the missing t4 once you have done your taxes.