Dr had to drop me because I might lose my Medicaid if I continue to see him. Weird situation

wnnipooh

Very sad news a psychiatrist I have been seeing for like 4-5 years now had a bombshell announcement to make to me at an appointment today and I’ve never heard of this before.

I have Medicaid because I’m on SSI. His practice is not taking Medicaid but since he fits with me so incredibly well I save up the money and pay out of pocket anyway.

He explained to me that the last few months word came down from the top that any people on Medicaid whatsoever paying out of pocket for their services received a warning that Medicaid may be taken away from that individual.

Basically implying that if you can pay to see any DR out of pocket you shouldn’t be on Medicaid to begin with. This is a disaster of a situation as finding good providers and especially Psychiatrists is basically impossible on Medicaid.

So I along with many other patients have been completely thrown from the practice and it doesn’t seem there’s anything I can do. I’m still processing how wild this whole situation is.

Just wanted to share to see if anyone else has heard of this before? I really am crushed to lose such a special provider

@wnnipooh I think it's more it's illegal and that the doctor could get into huge trouble if he accepts cash payment from patients he knows have Medicaid as opposed to you getting you kicked off , but yeah, the idea is the same- the intent of Medicaid is for people that are so poor that they can't be paying cash for services.

@mountaintrip98 Yeah the psychiatrist is definitely shady. We all wish we could get proper fees paid in cash. (The reason you can’t find anyone to take Medicaid is because the pay is shit and doesn’t pay anywhere near a market rate to cover our costs.) but everyone knows the rules, major red flag for a physician to clearly violate them for his own personal gain

@wnnipooh At least in my state we've had that rule for the 20 years I've been in the industry. Possible someone just brought it to his attention and told him he'd better knock it off immediately.

@mountaintrip98 It only violates the law in my state when the provider is Medicaid enrolled. If they aren't enrolled and don't accept Medicaid, there is no contract Medicaid can act on. There's nothing in law that penalizes people on Medicaid for paying cash for services.

@alea Actually I had a provider drop me in Maryland over a decade ago because it is illegal for them to take cash from a Medicaid patient even if they aren’t contracted with Medicaid. They were very clear it was their license on the line and no way around it even though they wanted to continue to see me.

@resjudicata It’s not illegal in MD and they were wrong. I just took a CEU training on this and it was addressed and it’s a huge misconception so providers err on the side of caution. This is an issue I have with the therapy community in general. Myths spread like wildfire and people freak out and don’t do their homework.

@mountaintrip98 I guess the owner got caught or something because he’s very careful, kind of a big deal Dr(teaches at Yale) and has been doing this atleast 10 years. No I will not give name of the practice but for him to knowingly do this for this long is mind blowing

Does that mean I’m not allowed to see my therapist as well? I pay out of pocket fof them because you guessed it. Not Medicaid