Don't understand foreign transaction fees

bjyovino

I don't understand how foreign transaction fees work. do you get charged the fee if you buy from any non-canadian site, or can it be a non-canadian site but gives you the option to change currency to CAD and in that case i wouldn't have to pay transaction fee? so let's say I'm buying from revolve.com which does not have a canadian (.ca) website, but I can switch the currency to CAD, would I still be charged foreign transaction fee?

@bjyovino Understanding foreign transaction fees can be a bit tricky. Generally, if you make a purchase in a currency other than your card's native currency, you may incur foreign transaction fees. However, if you have the option to change the currency to CAD during the transaction, it might be processed as a domestic transaction, potentially avoiding foreign transaction fees.

In the case of a website like revolve.com, where you can switch the currency to CAD, there's a chance that you won't be charged foreign transaction fees. It's essential to check with your credit card provider and review their terms and conditions to get a clear understanding of how they handle such transactions.

Keep in mind that even if a site doesn't have a .ca domain, the currency conversion option might influence whether the transaction is treated as domestic or foreign. Always verify with your credit card company to ensure you're aware of any potential fees and can make informed decisions when making international purchases.