Does joining the NHI make me a resident for tax purposes?

@kristhuy Is that true?

For instance, I read here a few times that a WFH holder wouldn't be considered having a 住所. But it's possible to enroll in NHI or rather required in case there is no existing travel insurance.

In other words, I don't see how joining NHI here would make you considered having a 住所 while remaining on travel insurance would not, when the stint in Japan is exactly the same in nature.

Similar for short term (less than a year) exchange students (see this thread), which are also required to join NHI (for stays longer than 3 months).

P.S. Though granted, the user you replied to might IMO have either a 住所 (the center of life hasn't moved to the country they currently do work in) or not be enrolled legally. My comment isn't about them per se.

@padraig2003
a few times that a WFH holder wouldn't be considered having a 住所. But it's possible to enroll in NHI

Article 5 of the NHI Law limits NHI enrolment to people whose 住所 is in Japan. A working-holiday-visa-holder can have a 住所 in Japan (enabling them to enrol in NHI), but usually they don't. It's case-by-case.

I don't see how joining NHI here would make you considered having a 住所 while remaining on travel insurance would not

You're right. Enrolling in NHI doesn't imply you have a 住所 and having travel insurance doesn't imply you don't have a 住所. But under Article 5, only people with a 住所 are entitled to enrol in NHI. So if you are enrolled in NHI without a 住所, you are illegally enrolled in NHI. That said, the penalties for illegal enrolment are determined by municipal regulations, and they are typically quite small.

Similar for short term (less than a year) exchange students (see this thread), which are also required to join NHI

I believe the embassy usually includes language such as "if/when you acquire a 住所" in these commitments, to ensure compliance with the NHI Law. The embassy (i.e., MoFA) does not want to (and cannot, jurisdictionally) get involved in determining where a person's 住所 is, because that must be determined by municipalities. But MoFA is just doing its best to avoid the scenario where a person's 住所 is in Japan and they have not enrolled in NHI. That is the outcome they are desperate to avoid.