Does it make sense not to own a car at all?

@jamesf123 I just calculated fixed costs of owning a car (insurance, tax, depreciation, parking, wheels, budget for repairs) vs. Mobility (subscription). So the starting cost of owning a car is much higher.

Once you start making Km, the cost per Km of owning a car is basically fuel, vs. mobility having a higher cost per Km.

With my numbers, the two lines were crossing at approx 5,000 Km. As long as I drive much less than that, I would not even think of owning a car. I did this a few years ago so numbers will likely be obsolete but the process could help.

It also helped me ease my mind when I think of getting a Mobility. Rather than thinking of the individual trip and how expensive it is, I put it into context with how much money and headaches I am saving by not owning a car.

@jamesf123 I live in Vaud and always used public transport for 9 years. Only started using a car a few months ago because it was getting hard with a child to get to creche and work within a reasonable time. We also moved to a place with less public transportation available (i.e. mini bus with steps so a no-go with a pram). Otherwise, would have stuck with just public transport.

@jamesf123 I have the same situation car left on the blue parking, and using it less than 1 per month. I keep it becouase 125.- it seems to be a fair price to have a means of transport, flexible and ready to use for every emergency. There this to you have you cannot do with mobility as per my understanding such going abroad for a couple of days or have it parked 2 min from home in case of an emergency

@jamesf123 I'm in a similar situation but I never would give away the car. The improvement in life quality and especially weekend quality is unbeatable for me. The time saved compared to public transport makes me go to a lot more and nicer places with higher cadence.

At the same time I really prefer to pay for a car in general than seeing the exact price of each trip. It makes me do more uneconomic but nice things.

@samuelbecerril I mean yeah, but now that you can have a car at any time, instant confirmation, keyless, - it's not quite the same as having your own, but getting closer for the weekends?

The trouble for me is that to own one I'd really like something nicer.

@jamesf123 Mobility is in proximity but always too expensive for me. It's just not great for long trips all around Switzerland. With a car I can and do stop everywhere, never would do that with a bus. Also I can throw all my stuff there and have it always ready, like swimming shorts for a spontaneous thermal bath visit, sunscreen, water and and and .... it's just massively convenient.

I would buy a Tesla if I needed one multiple times a week. Mine is slightly loud, inefficient, but cozy with seat heating and automatic.

The ride comfort is way better than any bus. The heating and cooling is in my control compared to the train.

The final straw is the cost for me. I'm not alone, but there are two of us. If you add the comfort and time savings, it's actually not much more expensive than public transport.

@jamesf123 Garage space in my building is 200 Chf per month, this means that if I spend 250 CHF per month in Mobility + Uber it's still cheaper than having a car. Having a car would be nice for weekend trips but it would get very expensive to have a car just to use it maybe twice per month. This is a strongly personal choice, I know of many people unwilling to put a price cap on their sense of freedom.

@keith7731 Garage and parking space is ridiculously overpriced anyhow (but the blue zone yearly ticket is thankfully OK). I would actually leave it at work, cause that's free.

@keith7731 Right next to the city border, but still very urban. Blue zone is not an issue, I think in the last few months I've only looked for a spot for more than one minute once.

Obviously I wouldn't be talking the same way if I lived within the city. Although outlying areas like Höngg still have a good amount of blue zone space.

@jamesf123 If you didn’t have a car, I would say don’t buy one. But since you already have it and it seems expenses are not too high, I’d keep it until it becomes a really heavy financial burden.

@jamesf123 Yes it is possible. I didn't have a car until I literally got one for free from my parents who downgraded from 2 to 1. Never needed a car unless I went to the countryside for which you could use the train.

I did get the car because why not, and sometimes as a cyclist it is nicer to have change or clothes and food waiting in a car rather than having to trek back home on a train. Or just generally you get to places more conveniently. But yea, I barely use it and I don't think I truly need it.

@jamesf123 I don't use mine often either, but for the things I do I find it absolutely worth it to have the flexibility. I also like to drive, and even if it's just every other week, the freedom to just have a car to take yourself somewhere at any time is worth it to me.

I think it's everyone's own decision and you have to weigh these.

I am also cheap, but I save on other things that hurt me less.

Leasing can be alright, but you have to check and find a good deal. Imho, buying outright is still much better though unless you plan on changing soon.

@allandavid85 Thing is, I would love to see something where I pay a (low) monthly fee and can just use various cars. But we're some years off that.

Also I agree on the freedom, but as I was telling another person the instant / keyless rental on some of the providers really makes it almost like owning one, with only the bare amount of hassle.

One advantage of rental that I hadn't thought of before starting all this, is that you get to drive all kinds of cars if you want. Even EVs are relatively low priced.

I think the only real difference for me would be to really love the car I own and make it almost like a hobby.