Does anyone else here NOT work directly in insurance?

peinopela

I’m talking about anyone who isn’t an agent/broker, adjuster/claims manager, or even underwriter (although I’ve seen few underwriters here).

I’m been in InsurTech for almost 5 years with no experience in insurance prior to that, and primarily work with backend technologies for policy rating and insurance data warehousing (aggregation/consolidation of data from multiple distinct insurer source systems) for a variety of carriers/customers. Worked with several personal lines products (lots of auto although it’s not our “money maker”) and commercial lines, including WC. Regulatory reporting is a huge thing with WC and commercial lines in general.

Not a soul here seems to work “higher up” for any carrier, I’ve not seen any actuaries either. No one for any state DOI organizations. Seems like 99% of the folks here focus on agency or claims/adjuster work.

This is mostly specific to P&C by the way. Just want to get some insight is all!

@peinopela With 111,000 members; assuredly there are a ton of people on here that aren't P&C agents, brokers, adjusters, claims managers or underwriters (and there are a lot of underwriters on here). The reason you don't see that many comments is that, well, why would a C-suite exec in insurance or actuary comment on someone's auto claim?

You'd get a little more engagement from the non front-facing insurance folks in the pros sub, to boot.

@android17ak47 Thanks. My thoughts as well. I’d love to see people similar to the carrier customers I work with, but I never have online. They aren’t really C-suite execs as far as I’m aware (although we definitely do have those calls sometimes as they’re the ones signing multi-million SOWs with us), but definitely aren’t your run-of-the-mill insurance workers.

r/InsuranceProfessional seems to have the same types of industry folks, but with topics focused around the field and jobs themselves. May post/crosspost this there still though.

@peinopela The people answering questions are usually much closer to the customers.

I've been around for awhile and can say for certain that we do have actuaries. We do have carrier reps. We have TPA folks, and we have a variety of folks from the regulation space haunting the sub. I've even gotten notes from a few who are like "Ummmmm." And bless them for that.

Just because they aren't saying anything doesn't mean they aren't here. It just means they aren't the best person to answer any of the given questions. If you have specific questions, you should ask them, but your better spot may be r/insurancepros, where the conversations that are way more nuanced happen. This is more of a public meets experts sub.

@peinopela I’m in product management for a large carrier, is that the type of job you’re thinking? I don’t participate as actively here, and I’m sure many in my type of role would agree, because adjusters and agents are much better equipped to answer questions coming direct from customers (which are the primary questions that seem to pop up here).

@itsredd_mrrh3 So in my field/company, we’d be the tech partners implementing or servicing your backend systems for policy/rating, billing, claims, reporting, etc. I’ve worked on dozens of carriers and products (LOBs), but with one specific vendor technology (won’t say which, but Britecore is an example of one). Product development is pretty interesting and you’d be surprised at how many carriers, even the largest ones, use third-party proprietary and licensed software platforms. Amazed me at least when I first got into the field.

@peinopela I think that you get fewer active participants who aren't involved in day to day operations because the questions are about customer impacts.

I work on the tech side of my company, developing and maintaining electronic applications, and I assist in filings, tech support, etc. But it's my decade of underwriting that's useful here.

@ka33 This sub has taught me a lot and although I don’t work directly in the industry, it’s helped me understand things in a way that improve my approach on what I do for a living with insurance tech. Kind of an end-to-end, “big picture” view of P&C.

@peinopela I actually work in IT now. However, I worked in as a P&C agent for a company taking inbound calls for 10 years. Ive literally heard everything.

@peinopela The industry members that participate here are people who deal (in some way) with the insurance buying consumer. We are here to answer the questions of the insurance buying consumer because that's what we do.

I would be quite amazed if there were any corporate executives or insurance commissioners answering questions here.

@peinopela You will likely see some more non agents if you join /r/insurancepros that one doesn't deal directly with answering "why did my premium go up". I am also formerly in actuarial and now a product analyst.