Does AD&D cover death by asphyxiation after having a seizure?

allowisjes

I purchased AD&D for my whole family through my work benefits. My son passed away last week due to asphyxiation after having a grand mal seizure. The seizure did not kill him, rather he managed to roll onto his face during the seizure which sealed off his air supply. Would that be covered under AD&D insurance? I'm trying to look up the policy but having difficulty finding the number.

@allowisjes OP, first, please accept my condolences this is an awful circumstance.

Just based on the description it could be covered, but like any legal document will require a full read on the terms and more importantly exclusions.

I would suggest you tend to the process and grieve now, notify your HR Dept of the issue and questions and allow them to investigate or assign a claims person to your case. In light of the situation I'm sure they will be more than accommodating to help you in the process, and provide any/all contact info to the plan administrator.

I may also suggest that you seek out some mental therapy to help with the process, this is a tremendously shocking thing to have happen to you and your family. I wish you the best.