Do you like your job?

preacher56

I am a former licensed practical nurse and looking for a career change at 39 years old. I live in BC. I have been looking into a career in insurance and seeing different types of schooling. I am wondering if a career in insurance can be good money and what is the best route for schooling. Thanks!!

@echo2788 This. Every so often I see someone asking on this and other subs about going to school for insurance. 8 years ago I applied at the local offices of a national company that was hiring. My licensing and product training was paid, as I got more licenses for other provinces that was paid, and my annual or biennial renewals are paid. I'm currently working towards my CIP designation and have 4 of 10 courses under my belt, all paid.

@preacher56 Everyone is talking dollars and cents. Selling can be stressful, especially in a hard market. Claims can be stressful, each person potentially experiencing one of the worst days of their lives. Underwriting and regulatory requirements can be stressful and arbitrary.

Unlike many other professions there isn't usually a strong overflow of extra people. Therefore burnout can be very high across the board in insurance without much sympathy or recognition of the signs until it is too late.

It's a lot easier to be stressed with a retirement package but most of the industry is paying "good rates" for 2010 and I've yet to encounter a sole income earner in insurance.

@mark264 I agree with this. I’m a broker in a small office and have some control over my workload so it’s pretty good most days. Being in a small office limits my ability to grow for now but I’ve worked at one of the big companies with multiple branches and it was basically a call centre. They’re probably not all like this but it was my experience.