Do you enjoy your job? How much do you earn? How are you limited by the current market?

@iseetheunseen What's your day to day role? Do you have dev experience?

Developers are really in demand right now and have a lot of bargaining power. A lot of roles offer fully remote work as a perk.

I suggest brushing up your LinkedIn profile so you start getting daily messages from recruiters.

@defender211 I dislike my job mainly due to it seeming to have no future and there is no learning and no career progression. I feel enitely stagnant. It's sales in scientific field, very niche. Long story but been here 6 years. Company is very sales focussed with insufficient aftersales or product knowledge/development. Really I'd prefer to be involved in the optimisation of the company, not spruiking products but that role doesn't exist. They run it lean as a sales focussed company.

Pay is good at $115-130k most years - I mean relatively good for anything science related. That's why I haven't left.

No future though, no growth and essentially no learning transferable skills. I've done a lot of good work over the years in labs, QC, process optimisation, IT integration but that was all lowish paid (

@defender211 What kind of engineer are you? If you are after more money, go in to mining, or if you want even more money, then oil and gas. Now is a great time to transition to mining especially since they are booming and struggling to find talent to fill roles.

A sa;ary of $200k++ isnt unhead of for someone with your experience as a mid level engineer in mining or oil and gas.

I'm in oil and gas and most engineers I work with who are in that 5-10 year experience mark (and non-managers) are in the $150-$250k salary range.

@defender211 A lot of roles are office based with maybe the occasional site visit if at all. There's roles for all preferences but you will indeed find getting a job a lot easier if it's fifo or residential near the site. And there salary will be larger too generally.

@defender211 I like my job, but i no longer enjoy companies/organisations. Or managers, HR, meetings that really to discussion to help manager understand fundamental stuff. Or people actively working to subvert other people and steal other people's work, the in crowd/clique thing. Or small talk. I am 30 years in corporate and 25 in IT, i think a lawn mowing round sounds good next.

Has anyone done it, dropped out and found something outside of corporations?

@defender211 That’s interesting, I pretty much disagree with the three points you made about engineering.
  1. There’s no over saturation. Quite the opposite, still in high demand with employers struggling to find engineers and many positions which would normally be filled by them are taken by non tertiary qualified people. So much so the government continues to attract engineers from overseas.
  2. Yes and no. Yes, if you put in your head you want to live in small town X, it might not be easy to find the job you want. But there are very few professions where this is not the case. Plenty of engineering jobs particularly in manufacturing and mining in country towns.
  3. Once again, I disagree. Obviously it might require going into managerial positions, but I would argue it’s not that hard to eventually break the 140k barrier. Most engineers I know have got there within the first 7 years. I know 4th years already there (major cities though - melb, syd)
This all obviously varies depending on location, industry and type of engineering.