Do I still get kicked off my parent’s insurance even though I have Crohn’s Disease?

@emmajeanb4u There's no law for a company to say who can or can't be added to their family plan policy. It's all up to the company.

The law is companies can't DISALLOW someone under 26 to be removed from a family plan.

That's beyond a different situation entirely.

Also notice the "usually"? They don't know for sure even. Lol

They're absolutely the one who brought up disability.

@truthseeker522 The only exception I can think of is COBRA - people can stay on their parent's plans until age 29 if they're willing to go this route. Of course, it's probably the most expensive coverage option OP would qualify for.

@truthseeker522 Straight up false regardless of your bs about a disability, due to the fact that some states (NJ, FL, and PA, for example) allow the child to stay on the parents' insurance past 26 depending on various factors like full-time student status, or if they're unmarried. Choosing PA at random, if OP lived there they could stay on the insurance until they're 30 so long as they all live in PA and OP doesn't get married. Don't have to be a student or anything. Just have to file a request.

@truthseeker522 That’s not true. I am in school full time, and also can work part time, but I am still disabled by many definitions. It just depends on what definition of disability their parents insurance uses

@rc123 Lol disabled to an insurance company means can't not support ones self do to illnesses or lasting condition lasting at least 1 year. OP clearly stated he has a job and commutes to school.

@scottusn06 Check the ACA insurance exchange for your state, you can see insurance policies there and since Obamacare passed they won't charge you more for having a chronic disease. also as people have said check with your University

@scottusn06 Depending on your parents insurance and the company and your diagnosis it is possible you could stay on but that would only be if you are disabled and rely on your parents completely for support. Do you get any social security?

@markde916 For context, continued coverage for disabled adult children is something that some very generous employers who self-insure their employee health plans offer and are not required to do. It’s not something you will likely see as a feature of a commercial insurance policy offered by an insurance company.

@omojolajohnson Not true. Any employer group through my company are eligible to cover their overage dependents with disabilities. It really depends on the state. I found NY, PA, and NJ allow for dependents over 26. And it matters what state the policy is issued through or insurance company is based in.

@markde916 In the vast majority of cases, disabled is defined, in part, as being incapable of self-support. What others are saying us that OP likely won't qualify as a disabled dependent, not that the exception doesn't exist.

@markde916 The state only matters if it is a fully insured policy. State mandates do not apply for aso unless they are non erisa. The majority of the time the exception is up to the employer. The likelihood of them being able to stay on the policy is slim.