Do I still get kicked off my parent’s insurance even though I have Crohn’s Disease?

@scottusn06 Sometimes these insurances will not cover as much as the state Medicaid/marketplace plan. You still have to pay for the insurance through the school as with Medicaid or affordable care act insurances you will probably not have to depending on your income.

I will add onto this though, you could definitely look into manufacturer coupons if you are taking a brand name medication. Usually, generics do not offer this deal.

@scottusn06 You might want to see if your college is requiring their insurance if you’re a full time student. In my case, I found out by going through the line by line breakdown in tuition. I found out I was paying for their healthcare and called to have it removed since I had my own healthcare. I was told I couldn’t because it was required to go to the college, it would be worth looking into.

@scottusn06 I have been on meds for Crohn’s disease myself. I do have insurance but it does not cover all the cost of the meds.

Ksknitter above is correct.

The manufacturer for each of the biologic meds I’ve been on has a program to cover the cost of anything not covered by insurance.

The only caveat is that you have to have some kind of insurance to cover a portion of the meds. My current meds cost $36k per dose. I take it once every 8 weeks. It works great and the manufacturers have covered all the cost after the initial insurance.

Good luck.

@philshackleford 100% this. Though I think the subsidies are capped at some lifetime value. For Stelara it was something like $25k. At $30 copay, those 25k go really far, but at steep $1k plus copays, you would run out fairly quickly. At least Stelara also has a program to temporarily donate free medication when insurance refuses to cover or you are in between plans. Another alternative is asking your provider for samples if you are on something like rinvoq. Ours gave us 2 months worth of pills and could give more had we needed them. None of these are permanent solutions but can help till you figure something out. Ultimately, you will need health insurance from the state or employer.

@toliy I’ve found that I develop an immunity to each of the biologics after 5-10 years. Then I have to move on to the next option. By then you’re onto another manufacturer and a new lifetime subsidy limit. So far so good. I just moved to Stelara myself.

@scottusn06 Avoid marketplace insurance if possible. Friend had to do it it for his remicaide infusions for a few months. Was $1200 each month for just him. But it is still cheaper than remicaide.

@smiddy420 This! When I went to grad school, 22 was the cutoff so I had insurance through my college. It was great and really affordable being a FT student who had a very part time job.

@truthseeker522 This is totally untrue - my son, 32 years old, is still on my employer's health plan. Some companies DO allow dependents to stay on the insurance if they have a life altering condition or disability. So there IS a chance.

OP- have your father check with his benefits department to see if they allow for this.

Good luck.

@truthseeker522 Crohn’s is a qualifying condition at my employer - so again, I was only commenting on your "NO chance" comment - it may not apply at the father's employer but at this point, why dismiss any possibility without checking?

@waccolie I said "No chance" based on this specific set of circumstances. O p is going to school full time while working part-time until they get their degree and hope to find a full-time job. There's no talk about disability