Discord Voice AMA with Deepak Shenoy & Capitalmind Team: Sunday 20th June, 3:00 p.m

@crixus123 I think with markets rocking, there is no questions. In Mar 2020 I would have had some serious questions and I wish I seeked the right advice and heeded to it. By now everyone has tried to time the market and got screwed. Now, well, just stay the course, is se zyada kya kar sakte hein?

@crixus123 A few questions :

∆ For someone who has just retired a few months back, what should be his portfolio like?

(I've asked him to invest in a bunch of fixed income instruments like PMVVY and SCSS. He also has some FDs.
In order to beat inflation, I've asked him to invest in index funds. Is this okay? Anything else to add/modify?)

∆ For a newbie investor interested in learning about stock picking without going too much into technical complications, (already investing in MFs for 2 years) how should one proceed?
Please suggest some not so complicated methods of stock pickings from your experience, which has got a high degree of success.

∆ What are your thoughts on smart beta indices? Would you like to invest them along with vanilla indices?

@gabrielsmom Here's what I've done for my Mom, and it's worked out very well so far:
  1. Exhausted PMVVY and SCSS. This takes care of cash-flow for living expenses.
  2. Remaining, invested in a mix of debt funds.
  3. Whenever capital gains in debt funds reach Rs. 1L, I move it into an equity fund (PPFAS' Flexi Cap).
In a little under 4 years, the growth capital i.e. everything except PMVVY/SCSS, has become 70:30 Debt:Equity.

@ghassen Thank you. A few questions to be absolutely crystal clear:
  1. Debt fund is a huge category having a large sub categories. May I ask you which category of debt fund (or a combination) you used for her? Is that a lump sum investment? (If you wish to mention their names, it would be really nice).
  2. Suppose the capital gains in debt fund reaches 1L before 3 years. What would you do to evade STCG?