Did the prices of real-estate went up over the past 2 years?

@milagrace2018 During Covid i lived in an amazing building in the heart of Shibuya near Parco, it was 190,000 yen per month.

I left a few months after the borders reopened and that same unit now is 260,000

@arcticwind Interesting. On the renting side though, I don’t seem to see such a high increase, when looking at listings.
Checking current rent in all the open condos from a high rise mansion where I used to live in Nagatacho until 2018, the prices have marginally increased since I moved (5~10% max).
Checking the ones I used to live in Akasaka until 2012, same thing.
So is price of new condos for sell just being artificially inflated partially due to investors, but don’t actually result in similarly higher rent prices due to “lack” of renters?

@wizz there is always supposed to be a spread between rent and condo prices, but on average rent prices are up 10% (EDIT: In Tokyo only of course. But cities like Osaka are also on the up and up.).

@heyitsthatguy1247 I've only seen the very sensible "building prices go down, while land prices stays constant or go up in central areas" everywhere around. Which is also by law BTW (the first half). This is also not JapanLife, please don't make it become the same with this sort of low-quality mock comments.

@buffalopat It only devalues on paper though. The property can maintain its physical value, by it sitting on a desirable piece of land (usually location dependent, such as a big tier city, or tourist destination)

I.e just because a house is worth X on paper doesn’t mean you have to sell it for X.

It would usually require you to own the land it sits on though.

@rogueebear The house can maintain value even over 30 years? That’s surprising I always heard houses became essentially worthless over decades and that only the land - maaaaybe- held its value as long as the area had people moving in. Or if Tokyo then it could go up 5% or something???

@buffalopat It’s on paper value decreases. But It can still hold physical value. As in if some wealth domestic/overseas investor really wants to buy your house you can charge whatever you want for it.

I.e just because it’s worth ¥(x) doesn’t mean you have to sell it for ¥(x). It all depends how desirable the property is (which is usually determined by the desirability of the land it sits on)

@buffalopat Well not exactly like that haha. But I mean that could happen. But what I mean is when you put it on the market you can kinda decide what you wanna sell it for.

The only difficult thing is selling it for your desired price to people who need a loan. Because their loan providing bank also need to agree with the value you have given it

@buffalopat for most people in reddit japan their unit of account is fiat currency, thus it is always goign up in value.

For those of us in bear assets as a unit of account, things have become 5 times cheaper in the last year

@milagrace2018 Short answer is yes!

With the yen weak and rising cost of materials and imports, then "HELL YES!".

Major foreign investment happening in major cities right now then mate, we are going to the moon at this rate.

There's no point waiting.