Deferring High School - A Strategy to Build Wealth

hmg

TLDR: Deferring High School, working from Age 15 and investing all monies earned and going back to school at Age 20 should be highly considered.

I liken myself to a contrarian and like to think outside the box. Our society has ingrained upon us that there are steps to life, getting your high school diploma, going to college, getting a job, getting married, having kids, etc. School teaches many things, one thing it does not teach is how to build wealth, how to invest, how to become financially independent. I would suggest that school mores teaches and socializes society to become employees, that becoming financially independent itself. When it comes to growing money and investing, with the power of compounding interest, the earlier you are able to put away money, the more drastic effect this has on the multiplication of such money as your life proceeds. So instead of squandering the youngest years that you could earn money (from age 15) while in high school, what would it look like if you decided to defer school (i.e. not go to grade 9), with plans to continue with it at age 20, after working for 5 years, earning income that you would fully invest, as most parents would be providing you with the necessaries of life during ages 15-19.

Year 1 - Age 15

Assumptions

Minimum Wage Job: $15/hr

Hours Worked: 30 hours/wk (50 weeks worked annually)

Jurisdiction: Alberta (for tax purposes & being able to start work at age 15)

Gross Pay: $22,250.00

Net Pay (after taxes and deductions): $20,417.16

Year 2 - Age 16

Assumptions

Wage: $16/hr (Note: $1/hr raise earned)

Jurisdiction: Alberta (for tax purposes)

Gross Pay: $24,000.00

Net Pay (after taxes and deductions): $21,545.52

Amount Invested: $20,417.16 (earned from Year 1)

Estimated Rate of Return: 8% (Invested in S&P 500 ETF; i.e. VFV)

Estimated Growth on Investment: $1,633.37

Total: $22,050.53

Year 3 - Age 17

Assumptions

Wage: $16.50/hr (Note: $0.50/hr raise earned)

Gross Pay: $24,750.00

Net Pay (after taxes and deductions): $22,065.24

Amount Invested: $21,545.52 (earned from Year 2) + $22,050.53 (carried forward) = $43,595.05

Estimated Growth on Investment: $3,487.68

Total: $47,082.73

Year 4 - Age 18

Assumptions

Wage: $17/hr (Note: $0.50/hr raise earned)

Gross Pay: $25,500.00

Net Pay (after taxes and deductions): $22,584.96

Investments: $22,065.24 (earned from Year 3) + $47,082.73 (carried forward) = $69,147.97

Estimated Growth on Investment: $5,531.84

Total: $74,679.81

Year 5 - Age 19

Assumptions

Wage: $17.50/hr (Note: $0.50/hr raise earned)

Gross Pay: $26,250.00

Net Pay (after taxes and deductions): $23,104.80

Investments: $22,584.96 (earned from Year 4) + $74,679.81 (carried forward) = $97,263.77

Estimated Growth on Investment: $7,781.18

Total: $105,044.95

Year 6 - Age 20 - BACK TO SCHOOL (GRADE 9)

Investments: $23,104.80 (earned from Year 5) + $105,044.95 (carried forward) = $128,149.75

Estimated Growth on Investment: $10,251.98

Withdrawal from Investment: $8,000.00

Capital Gains Tax: $1,000.00

Net Cash Withdrawn: $7,000.00 (to be invested in TFSA)

Total: $130,401.73

Things at this time, you go back to school and continue with grade 9 at age 20. You reduce your hours at work to a reasonable 15 hours week. You have an investment fund now worth $138,401.73. You begin to withdraw $8,000.00/yr, which after paying capital gains tax at 25% on 1/2 of the gain (i.e. $1,000.00 in tax), nets you $7,000.00 which you then use to to fund your TFSA each year in perpetuity (note how the annual estimated growth exceeds the $8,000 that is withdrawn each year moving forward). At the same time, from this point forward, you could spend every dollar you earn for the remainder of your life, without having to worry about saving for retirement. Your original investment fund will continue to grow each year, while your TFSA is maxed out every year as well. Over time this will result in enormous growth and likely financial freedom by 50 years old. At the same time you finish high school at 23 years old, but extra-ordinarily wealthy for such age. You could go to university for 4 years and finish at age 27 and start your career at age 28, which really isn’t very old and you’d be rock solid financially secure for life, by working when you were younger.

For starters, I'm not saying school isn't important, it is, but it's also not the worst thing in the world to take a break from schooling. In full disclosure, I'm not exactly sure how much more difficult it would be to continue schooling after a 4 year break, I haven't done the research. I would, however, suggest that the social aspects of being in school and at work are similar, in the sense of building friendships and relationships. Again, I realize that is completely unconventional and goes against everything in society, but this is a strategy, from a financial perspective, that would work for most people and could set them up for immense financial success in life.

@hmg There's more to life than money. Your sacrificing some key social formative years with peers in order to maybe set yourself up better financially in the end.

@anzhen Yea, you’ll literally have no social life, no friends, and no shared life experience with anyone. There is an assumed 100% savings rate, which is totally unreasonable, especially for a teenager. You’re completely stunting your life experience for a retirement plan that is mediocre at best.

Also, if you move into a high earning career, you’re sacrificing your last 5 years of income because delaying your education delayed the start of your career. Missing that income will dwarf whatever the value of that investment would be.

I’m in the MIDDLE of my career and 5 years of income is 1.6M. That’s 1.25x (pre tax) the value of the suggested account at 65. I anticipate retiring with an income of 500k+ a year. So I could be sacrificing as much as 1.25M of after tax income to deliver on that plan.

It’s just dumb, all around. Unless you anticipate working a median wage job your entire life. Even then, the sacrifice of life experience is not worth.

@jzhanglsw This is a really interesting and valid point that should be considered. I’ve seen parents who have taken they’re kids out for a year to go on a trip around the world and live somewhere else (parents worked in a job that allowed 4 over 5 or 2 over 3 type thing) and it significantly impacted their social skills around this age. I’ve seen it and it significantly improved them.

You’d need some serious intentionality in doing this to ensure that you are missing out some pretty crucial social development that would absolutely affect you down the road.

@hmg It is a nice thought experiment, but imagine a 15 year old being responsible with money and being able to hold down a full time job. They are probably too busy scrolling tictok and ordering 30$ doordash lunches.

I tried to teach the basics of investing to my grade 12s, maybe 1 out of 60 actually cared enough to listen

@hmg I strongly disagree that the social aspects of school and work are similar...

You are also delaying starting a higher-paying job for 5 years and working near minimum wage, assuming you are investing the bulk of your pay, which isn't realistic IMO

Going to university ASAP for a higher paying career is almost always going to be the better option

@hmg It's already been proven that people with advanced degrees earn more than those that don't on average. Sounds like you need to go back to school and learn!

@hmg The younger you are the easier it is to learn. The longer you wait, the harder it is to absorb and integrate new information. This is a bad idea that fundamentally misunderstands how humans develop.

@hmg There is about one way this can go perfectly right, and about a hundred ways that it is outperformed.

Unless you start a successful business (low chance of success) your employability will be quite low for top paying firms. It’s maybe not popular to say, but you are going to be severely handicapped for top tier employment showing a very late completion of high school. It also impacts your ability to get into top schools. Success is obviously still possible but you are building a huge barrier for yourself to overcome for very little gain in my opinion.

The gains are early if you get perfect 8 percent returns, but this is unlikely. It’s also unlikely you’ll be able to save such a large percentage of your income, especially after 18. Realistically you’ll also be stuck in an earnings trap where you’ll have to go back to school and won’t want to stop working. Look at lifetime earnings difference versus traditional path.

Run the math with 4 percent real returns versus making a 80-100k salary by the time you’re 30 (not unrealistic for college educated) and having investing that differential.

@hmg So you gave up 5 years of your life to earn peanuts and invest it, spending nothing on your social life or living expenses. And starting at an age where you're legally required to attend school.

Life isn't a math problem. Temporarily dropping out of high school to work might be a good decision for any number of reasons, but it's not because it's a clever financial strategy.

I am encouraging my kids to take a couple of years after high school to gain some life experience before jumping into a degree or trade, but again not as a clever financial strategy.

@hmg Ahh how this reminds me how nice it was to be able to be young and dumb.

Just stay in school, and work a part time job of 20-30 hours a week after school hours and weekends. You’ll still ruin your social life, but at least you’ll have both money and an education. What good is money at 20 years old if you’re too uneducated to use it effectively.