snowdeer

So the other day someone tried to whip a u turn in the middle of the road and hit my car. After speaking with the police they said the other driver claimed I was speeding (what??) but they still are at fault for merging into me. I have a $500 collision deductible and my car is being worked on. I’ve heard conflicting things from people saying i could get my deductible paid for if it’s their fault. Should I call my insurance and ask them or call back the other drivers insurance? It’d be nice to not have to pay my deductible if it’s possible since I wasn’t at fault. Lol

@snowdeer If you file through their carrier and they accept fault, you don't pay a deductible. If you file through your collision with your carrier, you pay your deductible. If your carrier subrogates against the other party (at fault party), they will collect and return your deductible before they collect any $ for themselves.

@snowdeer When you choose to file through your own insurance, your deductible almost always applies regardless of fault. So you need to be ready to pay $500 to the body shop when your car is done. Your insurance company will work on trying to recoup that $500 for you but will usually tell you there are no guarantees.