[Debt] 400k in student loans, not sure where to start

@citrusite yeah i've said this before, but the only other time you'll be in an entire world of people your age is a retirement home. it's such a great experience. everyone's exploring life together and everyone's horny and stupid. i wouldn't have traded my freshman dorm year to save 10-20k

@melouise This x100! Seriously, unless you are going for a very specialized degree AND you have already bypassed a number of gen ed credits AND money is not an issue....stay home, go to community college and work part time.

@mumbly If I’d stayed home, I would have killed myself. My parents were narcissistic abusive assholes, and mental and physical health are worth more than any money you may be spending.

@melouise I did this and still ended up with 67k in student loans.

My advise is, if you can afford to take less than what is offered, take it. You are not required to accept the full amount of the loans given to you. I probably could have saved 10k+ if I had only accepted what i needed.

But that was future Zed's problem...at the time...

@melouise This really depends on what you want to pursue. Especially for a lot of engineering majors, the way the curriculum is structured may mean you'll need to take 3+ years of courses at your 4-year institution anyway.

@melouise Yes, community colleges are highly underrated. Affordable basics, and you’ll still have “big name university “ on your diploma.

Also, community colleges offer many certificate programs for trades, and associate degrees that may help you earn as much as you would with a bachelor’s, depending on the field.

@melouise Even if you completely screw up taking the wrong classes and need to extend another semester or two the savings make up for that small risk.

@melouise As someone who did not do this, I wish ever day I had. I don't think my fancy $40K Private college with the good name was worth anything at all. I am about to start paying cash for my Fiancees college expenses and it feels good.

@melouise This, but make sure the community college you go to has an articulation agreement with the college you want to finish at, or stay in contact with that college's transfer coordinator to make sure the classes you are taking will transfer completely for your degree program, and not just count as electives. My better half is a director of transfers for a private University, and plenty of community college students transfer thinking that they only need to complete a further 2 years, when they often end up with 3 or more to complete because certain classes in degree programs don't transfer from their particular community college. It's a great option as long as you keep on top of what you need to be taking.