[Debt] 400k in student loans, not sure where to start

@melouise Great advice. Caveat is how awesome and enjoyable a big university is. I'm a Mizzou grad, and I totally get the advice on saving money, but, college is a unique experience, and as long as you're ready to work hard, and budget well after graduation (which I know can be a challenge), I'm of the personal opinion the experience is worth it.

Obviously, much of that is specific to the individual's personality, what they want in life, etc., but I wouldn't trade it.

@citrusite I went to university of Iowa. Awesome experience loved every minute. But a bunch of my friends went to the local community college Kirk wood also in Iowa city. We all went to the same parties same bars same Hawkeye football games but they spent significantly less money for two years. Wish I would have done community college first.

@christiannina2017 Iowa State grad weighing in, glad I didn't go to community college first. I met a lot of really great friends just in the dorms and being a part of the school community was awesome. Going to community college first is great advice, but I'm glad I went to ISU from the beginning.

...obligatory "Go State!"

@talkthecross Hmm. I'm also an Iowa State Grad. I went to NIACC before State. I dont think going to community college, and being active in the ISU community are mutually exclusive. I was still active in the ISU community. YMMV though. Community college drastically lowered my tuition bill.

@talkthecross This pisses me off. I graduated UCLA with a low loan amount and when I get asked how, I reply that I went to CC first. It then gets shrugged off as I don’t want to go to CC or I want the full college experience. That’s fine, then don’t bitch to me about the costs of college when you’re spending 20k+ for high school+ and to party.

(This isn’t directed to you)

@bornagainsteve I agree with you. I’m Canadian and there isn’t quite as much a push to attend out of state/province colleges as there seems to be in America. Most people attend whatever school is in their city/closest city, unless their preferred program isn’t available at that school. The whole attitude of “I want the dorms and the full college experience” seems strange to me, especially when most colleges cost significantly more in America than they do in Canada too. I don’t doubt that being able to move out of your parents home into a dorm at 18 is fun, but is it worth an extra $100k?

I lived at home throughout my entire college experience. Yeah, I would have rather not done that, but free rent and groceries yo. I also attended parties and had a good social life.

At the risk of sounding too judgemental: “I want the full college experience” sounds to me like something young people with no/limited financial knowledge and experience say.

@bornagainsteve Hell, I went to UCLA for 5 years (engineering victory lap) and still ended up with a pretty average amount of debt. Seeing guys like OP with over 10x as much debt as me is crazy, and I didn't have much in the way of outside scholarships. In-state tuition isn't that expensive, and between living frugally and decent financial aid, you can get off without insane loans.

But then again, I studied in a high-paying field, so my idea of a "manageable" debt is going to be different from other peoples'.

@citrusite I went to a local university and lived at home and missed out on the typical college experience, which used to make me sad. Now I'm one of the only people I know without the burden of student loan payments and I am so happy I didn't go away for school because my life is so much easier than the average person's.

@williamstarks Same here. Attended a local school with reasonable tuitions and a program with reliable employment rates post graduation. Lived at home, didn’t pay rent, used the moderate education fund my parents saved wisely (approx. $25k) and maintained a 4.0 to achieve multiple scholarships.

I attended parties and social gatherings all the same without living in the dorms. I’m sure dorm life would have been fun but not worth the money when I had a free alternative. I graduated debt free, which is worth every “experience” I may have missed out on.

@citrusite I always used to want to go to a big university for the experience and to root for football games and such. I joined the military out of high school and am now a good 10 years older than most freshmen so the appeal has dropped somewhat lol. Once your regular working days become students' late nights and you can already drink them all under the table there just isn't much challenge left haha.

@lilpeoplez Not wrong, but let's not try and say it's $400k to go to undergrad at a 4-year university. It's expensive, but if you do the legwork on the front end to find scholarships, work while in school, it can be a whole lot less than that. Especially if you're doing in state.

There are endless variables to get into. My point isn't applicable for everyone, but I think it's a factor to consider. The friends I had that stayed home at CC, and then transferred in, simply didn't have the same experience in dorms, meeting as many people, etc.

By all means, make your own decision, I just don't think this particular decision is a purely financial one.

@citrusite The point is, your friends didn’t have the same experience you did. But if they couldn’t afford it, they couldn’t afford it. When I was in college, all my roommates and a few other friends went on spring break. Some took out extra loan money at the start of the year just for spring break. I didn’t go because I kept my loans as minimal as humanly possible and I had abou $40 in my bank account at any given moment. It just wasn’t an option for me. So I didn’t go. I think it’s a big problem with society lately that people rack up student loan debt, credit card debt, buying cars they can’t afford, clothes, vacations etc. If you can’t afford something, don’t buy it. That really seems like a novelty idea lately.

Now I know college is different, it’s an investment in your future, blah blah, but that’s only because the education system has made it this way. And college is NOT for everybody. Student loans are NOT for everybody. But high schools are forcing every kid they have into four year universities because its better for their funding, and some guidance counselors get actual bonuses based on the percentage of their kids they send to state universities. There is no concern by a guidance counselor in any school of whether or not the 17 year old child sitting across their desk can afford college. It’s not on their radar. In their mind, the child needs college. But that’s only because they’ve pushed every other poor sap to college before them, creating a new bar for employment.

My point is, if you can afford college, realistically, and have an idea of what you want to major in and do for a living, then by all means go. But 1% of students have a need for 400k of student loans, 10% have a need for 100k of student loans. There are tons of other options and for 89% of students, if you can’t afford it, don’t take out a loan to fake like you can unless you have a realistic plan.

@lilpeoplez Okay bud. Thanks. You just covered all the typical feedback for this question for people. All valid, all factors.

I'm simply adding in the additional factor that it's an experience you won't get any other time, and you should consider it in your decision.

@citrusite I don’t agree that should factor in. I got off a tangent at the end, haha, but to that point, I do not agree. You may have a different experience going to CC for two years and then transferring but you can still have a great experience. I don’t believe things like enjoyment should be taken as a factor in a lifelong financial debt situation. I think that’s a big problem as to why people get themselves into bad financial situations, not just in student loans.

@lilpeoplez It might not be an important factor TO YOU but it is factor none the less that people should consider. My freshman and sophomore years of college were probably the most fun I've ever had in my life, wouldn't trade it for a thing. I wouldn't think twice about going 50k in debt to relive that shit, it was an experience money simply can't buy.