CT Total Payout Question

thebigboo

Hi there , last week on my way home from work my car was involved in a hit and run and ended up being totaled. My car which at the time of the accident was a 2004 Subaru legacy 35th Anniversary edition wagon with 89k miles , 1 owner until last year and 0 accidents. My insurance companies first total payment offer was $4.5k after the average of their 3 comparables. What concerned me was that for the first comparable, I wasn’t supplied a full VIN as the last 8 numbers were X and this car which supposedly had only 41k miles only sold for $3.5k. So this car was most likely at with unknown condition , ownership , accidents etc. And after looking at the Carfax for the last two comparables they were both multiple owner cars , that had accidents and were 20/70k more miles than my car. These comparables were also all sedans instead of the wagon body style I own which the wagons sell for more. Now I know that usually you can submit your own (3) comparables for a counter offer but in CT with a 400 miles search radius which is the same as my insurance company used I have trouble finding comparables that are of my exact car. So my questions are is there a way I could get new comparables compared to the original ones I was supplied that are closer to my actual Wagon and it’s mileage or am I stuck with this original value of 4.5k? Thank you in advance!

@thebigboo id inquire with your insurance adjuster what you need to do exactly. if there are none for sale within 500 miles of you, how far can you expand the search?

did they adjust the value of the sedans to compensate for being a sedan vs a wagon

understand that you probably wont ever find a 2004 legacy that clean again. its nearly a 20 year old car and based on your info and pics was exceptionally clean. which makes valuing it very difficult.

@occamsrazor18 I spoke with my adjuster today for the first time after the initial call about the value last week and was told it was only up to finding comparables of that exact year. As for the adjustment each Comparable had “Vehicle Configuration Adjustments” that were $130 , $70 , $160 . The mileage difference between 152,000 k miles and 89,916 was $316. Thank you as well for the reply I appreciate it.

@thebigboo Yes it would have to be the same year for sure.

If you are unable to find proper comparable you could invoke your appraisal clause. You pay for an appraiser and so does insurance and they will decide the value in the end

@occamsrazor18 I think that I may go the route of using the appraisal clause if thats the only other way instead of finding proper comparables which has been near impossible. Thank for your info and quick replies I
truly appreciate it.

@thebigboo Honestly, I have almost never said the appraisal clause should be enacted but this might be a time for it. The only issue is that you may pay for more an appraisal and going to the umpire than you’d get out of the appraisal. Have you tried to locate any recent sales anywhere for the same year/wagon?

This is a bummer for sure OP.

@investigate Thank for your message I really appreciate your post , it’s such a shame that it was hit but I’m glad I got to enjoy it while I got the chance! That car stepped up big for me when I needed it and made me a lifetime fan of that era of Subaru wagons. Thanks again for the post I wish you and your Volvo the best lovely car !