Considering going back to school to get my A&P license for aircraft maintenance. But, I need health insurance

eddiebeltran

Hello sub,

I am thinking of going back to school, I am 30 years old. I would like some pointers on how to get affordable healthcare insurance. A big thing for me would be coverage for my therapy sessions, I really value those. The plan I need would need to cover 18 months, that is about how long most of the A&P programs are. I am really ignorant and unlearned with respect to the details of health insurance.

Thank you for your time.

Zip code: 73141

Income: About to be 0 so I can study full-time again.

@christeveanity Nothing, the COBRA option looked pretty expensive and the job I am at now I makes me wait 21 more days to get coverage. As I want to get back into aerospace, I think I will probably leave soon.

@eddiebeltran Health insurance through your school can be good value for money, if they offer any - your risk pool will mostly be reasonably health 18-to-22-year-olds. Healthcare.gov plans are cheaper for young people than for old, but it doesn't fully compensate for the risk - young people as a group do pay more in premiums than they et in claims, and old people as a group pay less than they use. On a school plan, you might be the relatively old person who's getting a good deal. :)

If you're planning on a part-time or summer job, you might be eligible for tax credits on healthcare.gov, which can make that coverage more affordable than school health insurance.

Depending on your state, there may be Medicaid. People do report it's pretty hard to find a therapist who takes medicaid, though.

@resjudicata Thank you very much for this very much informative reply, I appreciate it a lot! I will look into the sources you have delineated here, this was a lot of good information for me to look into. Thanks again!