Consequences for not giving 2 weeks notice before leaving job?

strangekeys

Context: Recent graduate (2022) and first formal job.

I got an offer for a job from Job A (about 1h away from me) that starts mid-May. I got interviews for other jobs (B and C) that are closer to me before then. I am in the process of accepting the Job A offer already but I do not want to tell the employers from Job B and C that I have an offer that I already accepted. Reason being is that they are graduate programmes and might just give it to someone else if they see I am already "employed" even though the start date is later in May.

I would trade Job A that is 1h away for an offer from Job B and C in a heartbeat (better pay, opportunity to excel and closer to me) however if I start mid-May with Job A and only get a new offer from B/C after that then I will have to provide 2 weeks notice before I leave Job A... if I don't do this and just leave what's the worst that can happen? Yes it is unethical but I should take anything I can get to start off.

Any advice please!

Edit: All companies in question are in the financial services field.

Edit 2: Thanks everyone.

@strangekeys If you get an offer from B / C, simply negotiate your start date to align with the end your notice period. Start dates are normally quite flexible.

If you've been employed for six months or less, I believe the typical minimum notice period is one week (unless otherwise stated in your contract).

Don't ghost them, burning bridges early on isn't a great idea. If you do, you'll likely be blacklisted from working there again, but life will go on.

Unless you were head hunted for being unbelievably competent and they put in enormous effort to hire you, you're likely not very valuable to any company at this stage. They probably won't mind too much as long as you're up front.

@strangekeys Telling B / C that you are available immediately despite being in the process of accepting a position at A is a mistake that you can't unmake. It makes negotiating a start date that makes everyone "happy" significantly more challenging.

You're likely going to burn a bridge with A if you take a job at B / C. But its not the end of the world.

As I said, you will be blacklisted from ever being hired at A. If they are half organised, they'll have your name on a database somewhere that will prevent future applications from going through. That's the extent of it (at least in any place I've worked at).

You must tell them that you're leaving and accepting another offer though. Otherwise your resignation may not be communicated effectively to other departments (such as payroll), and you may be erroneously paid your first paycheck. That's a headache you don't want.

Just be up front if you get an offer from B or C. I guarantee it will be okay if you handle it like an adult. It will be awkward and they likely won't be happy, but you're not working to make them happy. You're working to pay your bills - you do that by taking the best opportunity presented to you.

@seektruth247 I was available immediately at that time when I was applying to those jobs haha, but I get your points. Yes I will be professional about it and I'm sure they'd understand, thanks a lot.

@strangekeys The truth is that the legal consequences are minimal but the reputational harm is the real gamble. Once you enter an industry you will be surprised how small it becomes and you will run into people over and over again as people move companies.

The best thing is to be upfront and honest with everyone. If you start your job and get the better offer, you are best off being up front with the employer, telling them that you have received another offer and it just makes much for sense for you to take the new one.

Although they may be annoyed you just need to keep your hands clean at all times and build a reputation for honesty. You will run into these people again don't burn your bridges.

@strangekeys 1 week if within 6 months I believe unless otherwise stated in the contract. 2 weeks between 6 to 12 months and then 4 weeks post that.

Consequences for you are most likely reputation-related if word gets out, that's as a newbie to the job market.

There is potential for damages to be chased up but it'll likely not be something that happens at an entry job level.

@strangekeys If offers B or C do.come through, I would suggest to play open cards with A.
We recently had someone start with us, and 15mins in to the morning she told HR that she had just gotten an offer from her "dream job" to start a month later. We let her go immediately because there was no point in us putting in time and effort to train her.
Only negative is that she didn't work, so didn't get paid for that month. But she was able to get out without too much reputational damage, because she was open about it.

@strangekeys Depends on the contract but usually you will suffer a partial/full payment. Tell the new employer you need to finish the notice payment, they usually are lenient.

@strangekeys Depending on the company, don't most usually do a 3 month probation period where in this time the company can decide if you're a good fit or not and not go through the whole firing process, while at the same time it also gives the new employee a chance to see if they are happy or not?

I (29M) have worked for 3 companies and 2 of them are quite big (offices all over the country) and with both I had to go through a probation period where I had to "behave" and the companies had to show me they aren't just a faceless corporate