sydwell

Recently started to take an interest in shares (still learning and lots more to learn). I'm a little confused about different tickers for the same company.

I know there are some with different classes which include voting rights and non voting rights such as BRK.A and BRK.B. This is reasonably straight forward.

Take AIB for example, I see A5G.IR, AIBG.L and AIBRF. They are all AIB group PLC.

Can someone that is more knowledgeable tell me what is the difference between them?

@sydwell Someone else in this thread explained the difference in ticker due to the exchange it's traded on.

Different shares of the same company have different attributes. Some have more voting rights, some are more priority for dividends.

I'm not sure of the difference between brka and brkb but I think brka can never be split?

A good example would be VOW and VOW3. Both are Volkswagen shares. VOW has voting rights. VOW3 are preference shares with no voting rights, but get priority in liquidation, more dividend priority etc.

@debrap Thanks, at least the naming is consistent in your example. The class aspect is ok. I understand that part. Maybe AIB naming is one of the rare one with A5G instead of the recognisable name (or probably already taken on the exchange)

@sydwell Yeah, I agree it's not straight forward. The one thing I would say is that someone is not searching for A5G shares. They look up AIB and then buy the shares in the exchange they can access/has liquidity etc.

@sydwell They tend to be the ticker on different markets.

.IR - Ireland stock exchange
.L - London stock exchange

Pros and cons to each, Irish tend to be more expensive to trade (transaction fees), but at least it’s in Euro so no currency risk

@vescd Not sure about your currency risk statement.

The respective shares may trade at different levels due to liquidity and discounts/premiums, but if the underlying asset is valued in Euro and the pound crashes, all things being equal the shares denominated in pounds with assets in euro should appreciate in price. Although they may get caught up in a sell-off.