Concerned fraudulent insurance policy taken out in my name

arno

Im concerned a family member may have taken out a fraudulent insurance policy for their car in my name. I’ve recently been getting text advertisements about cheaper insurance rates for a specific make, model, and year of car that my sibling owns.

Is there any way to see what insurance policies are or have been taken out in my name?

I can’t simply ask my sibling because they will lie and are the kind of person that would absolutely take out a policy in my name. They have multiple D.U.I.s which I think would motivate them to use my identity.

I asked an insurance agent and they told me they can’t look up all policies in my name only policies with their company. I asked my local D.M.V. and they told me they have no way to look up insurance policies in my name either. I spoke to a police officer and they said they couldn’t look it up.

Does anyone know how I can determine if there is a policy under my name? Any suggestions or general advice would be greatly appreciated.

@arno You may be able to contact lexis nexus and request a consumer disclosure report. These reports may contain your prior and current insurance history. If there are other policies in your name it may show up on this report. You can also request one from verisk. It is all part of the FCRA.

@arno Are you ever around then enough to either check the glove box or ask them who their insurance company is? If you ask you can always pose it as you shopping around.

@wrestlos If sibling did use OP’s name, no way would sibling tell OP the actual company. It would totally ping name and social.

Not for anything, but what a stupid idea. In the event of a collision, the insurance would be void, anyway.

@jaimea Great point but the sibling in question is stupid. I know that’s not very articulate but no better way to say it.

@jaimea Well this sibling is dumb enough that they have multiple DUIs, so honestly I think you’re giving them too much credit to assume they’d immediately catch on to this. Doesn’t hurt to try

@wrestlos I do not interact with them in person so unfortunately I can’t look In their glovebox. I will try messaging them and asking what insurance they have under the guise of shopping for politicizes. Thanks for the suggestions.

@arno Like someone else said, you could try Lexis Nexis Consumer Disclosure Report (you can request it online) and also Verisk has a similar Consumer Report that you can request. Those are the two biggest insurance databases for information.

Unfortunately this person makes terrible decisions and I wouldn’t put it past them. They had access to all my information as I let them live with me before I had to kick them out. I know this would be Identity theft and I do think they would commit this crime to benefit themself.