Common law Tax question

bcraig_6973

My fiancee and I have a kid together, I got my t4 already and am able to file my taxes.

Mine are incredibly simple and ive always done them my self on simpletax.

My question is - DO we have to file at the same time same place? Can I use simple tax and she go to h&r block? They charged me 180$ last year for something that takes me 20 minutes to file.

Id do hers too if it wasn't a bit more complicated, She is a contract worker, on maternity leave collecting the maternity leave EI. On op of what ever we need to claim for the kidlet.

@bcraig_6973 Technically, you're supposed to file jointly at the same time. My recommendation, use WealthSimple. Its free and you can do both of your taxes at the same time, eventually submitting together once everything is done. By filing jointly, you can also take advantage of some of the joint filing stuff such as childcare expenses, carbon tax rebates, etc...

@tmthy21 It has the option to file jointly but at different times. But I will wait and see what her ei papers and uccb ones say first. If it seems super simple I will do both.

All I have on mine is tools, RRSP and t4 lol

@bcraig_6973 There’s no requirement to file at the same time. You have to put spouses income on yours but they’ll just reassess it when she files final, so put an estimated figure. They use your combined income (family income) to determine child benefits and some other such things. If anything changes that would otherwise affect your return, then you would have to re-file.(example - you expected to be the lower income earner and therefore deducted child care but then she turns out to have lower income - she will have to deduct those and you’ll need to re file without the deduction). Whoever said you are supposed to file together is incorrect. You’re supposed to file a return consistent with your spouses return. It’s easier to do it at once, but not even unusual to do otherwise. Most common reason is as you have mentioned - one spouse is self employed and the other is not.

As well, the CRA defaults to the female (sexist!) for child benefits. I assume they have with you and she receives the money. Therefore, the family income used will be from her return and when she files she will know exactly what yours is, so even that aspect of it will be all fine. The 2023 filing does not affect child benefits until July so as long as she gets hers in by self employment deadline June 15, should be smooth sailing

@pyrhonn She's not self employed. She is a contract lab tech, but they pay her. So she gets paid from the organization of travel nurses/labs
Its just called contract work. Sorry for the confusion.
I'll wait and see her ei and t4 sheets and decide if it's over my head. I'm sur ei could figure it out.