Coming off a 2.8% mortgage interest rate - what to do

vgrace

Interested in what people are thinking when it comes to choosing a floating interest rate or fixing for a period?

@chalison This is like the financial advice stories in Stuff, written by a 20 something who owns 5 houses.

"I found it easiest to pay off the whole balance, so I wasn't paying interest, then I could remortgage and buy another property"

Then at the bottom it's like "John had a bit of help from the bank of mum and dad, who helped get him started by giving him $2.5 million and giving him four of their investment properties they held in the family trust."

@pleng28 We need more entrepreneurs like John! We should all be smarter about the family we choose to be born in to!

If we’re born to a middle class or lower family, then shame on us!!!!!!!!!!1!!!11eleven

@pleng28 Not to be rude here. There are plenty of people who did it without the bank of mum and dad. It would be harder today with the new tax and rental laws. But it's not impossible.

@chalison I love it when they say “oh, if you pay off the whole balance there will be a early payment fee”….like wtf, if I just paid off my whole mortgage at once I don’t think a fucking fee is going to break my balls Gerry.