College Son Calls It Life Hacking

@juan08861 I'm not couching it as a win, just telling you it's privatized to save money., And most universities worth their salt are raising 10mm+. UGA, where I was a call was around 35m just from student callers.

@rnenow67 Because I think it’s entirely possible that this isn’t frowned upon. If it were frowned upon, I doubt it would happen. I doubt this kid is the only one at the office doing this.

@allieohh I think stuff like this is often not frowned upon, until it’s frowned up. Not being caught yet doesn’t mean he won’t be caught in the future. Or if they need a reason to get rid of you.

@rnenow67 So you think this kid cracked some kind of code that no other student in university history has figured out? That nobody he’s currently working with has figured out either?

@allieohh And that company is the university.

Playing a game of ethics with your university is opening a can of worms. Losing scholarships/grants over a miniscule amount is going to suck.

Work study jobs that are funded by federal grants are also usually only open to students who were given it in their financial aid package first then opened up to others which is a high probability that OP's son is receiving other grants.

@allieohh It’s a company issue until they see a string of shifts that are 61 minutes long. A pattern is evidence. If he was smart, he’d only do this occasionally.

@allieohh I think the issue though is that this employee is intentionally gaming the system to get paid extra for time not worked. A bit of rounding up here and there is fine, but this is pretty obviously intentional. If someone notices a pattern, they could take issue with it and fire him.

@rrztop1 Thats exactly it.

If I were doing an audit and saw Jimmy got paid for working 2 hours when he worked 1 hour once I would say "Oh Thats weird." and move on.

If under the same scenario I saw that Jimmy had done it 12 times I would be planning to let jimmy go.

@allieohh Gaming the system to specifically get paid double can still be fraud. It doesn't matter if the system "allows" it or not.

Yes they should look at what in the system allows it to be exploited that way, but its still exploiting a flaw or bug.