Coinbase and Revolut IBAN issue: update

miguelblanco

TL;DR -- you can finally use your Revolut IBAN with Coinbase!

Given the attention my previous post on the topic received, I feel obliged to provide an update.

After multiple months of back and forth, as well as involving both the Central Bank of Ireland (alongside support teams from Revolut and Coinbase), I am happy to report that as of today, everything seems to work seamlessly.

I've learned on the way a few things --
  • There is no formal legal support for IBAN discrimination. Meaning, while the Central Bank of Ireland can advise, they do not give counsel nor provide guidance on how to pursue legal course. It kinda sucks, but it is what it is.
  • FinTech companies have growing pains (apologies for generalising). Whatever Revolut / Coinbase did, they should've done so earlier. For example, the latter relies on the SCT Register of Participants ... as opposed to have their own internal resource.
  • You can use Revolut as your only bank, i.e. not having a "traditional" Irish bank, as long as you're not overly dependent on transfers with/from services with the aforementioned growing pains. I mention this since this topic was discussed at length in this subreddit.

@watcherkohen So I have done that ... based on the back and forth with them, I conclude they will not lean in to resolve the matter. :(

The two useful bits from them: (1) confirmation that what's going on is wrong; (2) the link I provided in my post, explaining the source used to verify accounts.