Class action lawsuits against USAA &/or Caliber Collision

@duke848 In your scenario, USAA would actually be the victim of fraud, not you. If in fact Caliber has a secret deal with junkers to slide them perfectly repairable cars that were falsely totaled then the fraud loss is on USAA for paying out more than necessary. So you likely lack any financial damages to sue for since USAA is begging to pay you money.

Your insurance contract almost certainly says it is up to USAA as to whether a car is totaled or not. Your opinion is somewhat irrelevant.

If a car is totaled, the insurance company owns it, not the body shop. So your conspiracy theory falls apart there. But even if caliber bought it from the insurance company for some cut rate then flipped it to the junker they’d almost certainly make less money then just doing actual repairs.

This isnt a sustainable crime for Caliber as it’s unlikely insurance companies will just keep going along with their proposal to total out a bunch of cars. These companies almost certainly analyze metrics on claim amounts and averages to compare to other body shops. Once they noticed this Caliber was over the average, they’d look at it more closely.

As to USAA and the HOA, once the insurance company pays you then it’s up to them to decide to go after the responsible party. It’s not unheard of for insurance companies to NOT go after the responsible party for a variety of reasons. Your opinion on it is again irrelevant. You’re certainly free to forgo your insurance and sue the responsible party directly, sustain your lawsuit and then use any judgment to pay for repairs. That makes no sense to do since you specifically pay for insurance to avoid having to do that.

@nmjeepr75 You are missing a few possibilities. Since long ago junkyard fusion cars were showing up on the street with different VIN numbers.

@duke848 I was being sarcastic hence the /s

Caliber nor USAA is wanting to total it out. It’s per the state. You aren’t gonna win the lawsuit OP.

Just owner retain if you want to keep it. If not do the title release.

@jazzino You are an idiot. The state mandates the total percent, not padded estimates. It takes one guy finding his totaled car with a new vin number to completely blow this fraud out of the water.

@jazzino I picked up on the sarcasm, you're speaking my language lol. I realize my chances of winning are low (the consumers chances are always low), but I also know that actions (fraud) have consequences (payouts). And because of that, I have not let myself accept defeat and allow them to re-sell my car after they vacuum out the glass and do the bare minimum repairs. All of which I want to happen... I just want to be the one who owns my car!!!

@jazzino Meaning that each state has different regulations on what it takes to total or not total out a car? I've always thought that the insurance company decides that formula

@jazzino ???
I've been asking USAA all of this for two months, and have received no responses outside of "give us your information so we can total your car and move on."

All of the damages that add up to my car being "totaled", happened outside the scope of my original incident (aka in other people's hands), ALSO those additional damages were fabricated by the repair shop because they want to keep the car for themselves. How much the ins company pays out is none of their concern, and the ins company doesn't think there's anything wrong with #1 their inspection missing $10k in damages and #2 that their "trusted repair shop" is lying to them about those same damages... CALIBER MADE UP $10K IN DAMAGES AND TOLD USAA THEY MISSED IT ALL, and USAA is like "that's fine, let's just get his zip code so we can process the total loss". Fraud x1000, no matter if the state makes the rules or not.

They aren't even following those state laws because no law allows a repair shop to fabricate damages and pressure the consumer to give over the title to those who lied - obviously illegal and fraudulent behavior.

Imagine owning a thing that you have insured, then a dead tree falls on it. You start a claim right away, and the insurance company takes it to their estimate facility. They take out your deductible, then give you a little money so you can find a repair shop. Your thing sits there in their lot for a week or two while you find the repair shop. Insurance ships your thing to the shop, and then the shop says your thing somehow got completely smashed while at the estimate facility and we don't know how it happened, but the insurance company definitely missed it the first time around, and we are also now taking your thing so we can have it and re-sell it. We just need your information so we can take ownership of it, our hands are tied. --- Unacceptable standards by any measure, for any business or service.

@duke848 If it isn't part of the claim, how is it being used to total the car? That happened in my case as well, and they were smart enough to leave the post accident damage off the estimate as it was part of vandalization.

@jazzino Fraud: wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial gain. I've got my insurance company deceiving me by ignoring my calls for accountability so they only pay out the street value of my car and not an additional $___ from a lawsuit (deception for financial gain), and I've got Caliber Collision deceiving me by fabricating over $10k in non-existent water damage (deception for financial gain). I don't have a loan, I paid the car off a couple years ago.