amandacm

What are some civilian jobs that use TSP? I’m almost two years in the Air Force Reserve and my orders are ending soon with no job as of now. I have my Bachelors in Economics and Business and am eager to use it in the real world. I am just curious of what jobs use the TSP since I already have one being in service. It would be nice and easier to track my retirement in one place, but of course it doesn’t matter I am just wondering what jobs use it! From the DMV area, I am also researching on my own but wanted to see others’ experiences. I live well off with my BAH and BAS alone so I contribute 35% of my base pay to my retirement. My goal is to try and hop on more orders but of course that’s not guaranteed.

Also I just wanted to share my experience and portfolio and ask for tips!

23 y/o male
  • $10,600 in my TSP (100% C) and will be hitting my two year mark in April so no government match yet which sucks
  • $12,100 in my Charles Schwab account invested in different funds
  • $1800 in checking, no real savings or HYSA
  • No college debt or any other
  • No Roth IRA (plan on making one around tax time if needed)
  • Rent ~750 per month (but if I am not on orders I will move back in with my parents and try to find a job (hopefully with civilian TSP))
Edit: E4 with rent being my only expense besides gas and food, other misc expenses are low and probably add up to around $50 max. I am lucky and grateful that I do not pay my phone bill nor have any debt on my car.

@amandacm A civilian TSP is separate from your mil one anyway.

But to answer your question, most federal jobs.

What do you mean you'll create a Roth IRA at tax time if needed? It's not "needed", but you should absolutely have it and max it before you're putting money into a taxable account.