Chipotle Founder to Step Down as CEO After Comeback Falters

@carenski In college I remember barely being able to finish a burrito. Like...BARELY. Now I can comfortably finish one, and I probably eat less than I did back then.

@amilia Bring back a better chorizo.

The one that they choose just isn't great at all, talk to any mexican people and they could find you a much better tasting one. There was also the issue that it seemed to be hard for their workers not to burn it to all shit and ruin the taste even further. Tried it a few times and got turned off on it.

The queso is also utter dogshit. Tastes like floury bland shit and is a disappointment.

@theylivewesleep Yeah, I remember when I tried it I had them put it on the burrito and I couldn't even really tell I was eating the part with queso until looked at the burrito to see where the queso was.

@pasha0672 There's a good episode of the podcast "how I built this" where they interview Steve Ells about Chipotle. It's from October 30, 2017 listed on here https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510313/how-i-built-this

In 1992, Steve Ells was a classically trained chef working in a high-end restaurant in San Francisco. But after eating a burrito at a local taqueria, he got an idea: to sell burritos and earn enough money to open his own gourmet restaurant. The first Chipotle opened in Denver the following year. Bringing his culinary training to taqueria-style service, Steve Ells helped transform the way we eat fast food.

McDonalds was an early investor, but the other investors bought out mcdonalds, because McDonalds wanted to expand with a franchise model. The other investors thought it was too profitable and didn't want to share the profits with franchisees.

I'm not much of a restaurant business guy, but Ells was saying something about how their food preparation process scaled up really well compared to mcdonalds. Basically, a chipotle gets crowded and can sell much food without incurring much more labor expense. But a mcdonalds needs more employees working to make more food which is a struggle because busy time is only for an hour or two per day.

@riss99 The chipotle process is really easy to scale because their menu is dirt simple compared to McDonalds. Two types of rice. Two types of beans. A few salsas. Like five types of meat. One kind of cheese. One kind of sour cream. One type of lettuce. One type of tortilla. One type of chips. One type of taco shell. They can prep hours ahead of time.