Caught realtor in a lie - do I just have to accept this as the standard?

@m32s ignore the agent, pay what it is worth to you and move on.

Out of interest what do you think the agent's job is? Sounds like he did exactly what the seller wanted.

@dumbfounded Clearly to get the best price. We’ve lost out on other properties and walked away fine from a fair fight.

It’s just a shame to hear that it’s an accepted truth that realtors can choose to lie and mislead people. Whether this individual was telling the truth or not. I suppose I’ve been naive hahaha.

@m32s Did he ever say the offer was $x? Or did you assume it?

From your post. He said $x would get it done and $x would of got in done had you offered it because the only other offer was $x minus a few grand.

If you listened to him and offered $x you would have bought the house potentially.

Seems like he told you exactly what to do and you ignored him.

What part is the lie? You assuming the other offer was $x?

@dumbfounded He gave us the exact amount of the offer and the published results after the sale was less than that.

But the discussions on this post have been great and given me a lot to learn for next time. My point still stands though that even if we ignore my story, it’s an accepted fact that realtors can lie. And that just doesn’t sit well with me.

Whoops want to clarify that though that sale price was less, I agree with other commenters that it’s no proof of a lie. But before this post it seemed certain

@m32s "We have an offer"

So you have a written, subject to no classes offer?

"ah well no it was verbal/subject to X"

Right, so you have nothing more than you did the last time we spoke. I'm coming into your office to submit an offer.

A written offer - legally has to be taken to the buyer. Sit in the office, write the offer, and make them call the seller. That's what we did on our first.

@m32s Yes it sucks getting messed around or knowing you are being told lies etc but keep in mind the agents don't work for you.
They care about one thing only and that is getting the highest price for their client.

@lifefreeinthespirit Actually they are looking out for themselves. Often it’s to get ahold of the deposit asap to take commission out of as fast as possible so they will also take a quick sale over a higher offer. They are supposed to pass all offers on and many don’t.

@m32s I thought that you could do something like a formal offer via signing a contract with your conditions and they were obligated to provide it to the owners regardless?

@marcus94 It was a formal offer, used an email template given to us by our conveyancer and added all the conditions to it. I'd assume the rejection was after a discussion with the owner on it.

@m32s If the agent showed it to the owner, and the owner rejected it, then so be it.

I don't think you have an actionable complaint for the agent being a poor negotiator who could have gotten more money for his client. The owner may have a complaint, but that's between them and the agent.

@m32s Formal offer here in QLD is a contract of sale signed by the buyer. With all conditions layed out.

Email templates from solicitors don't mean jack.

@m32s What are you all talking about. Real estate agents cant lie at least not in qld about multiple offers. They have to provide you a multiple offer form. If they lie theyd lose their licence. They arent losing their job to scam you out of $10k. When their comms is $150 of that.

Stop thinking the agent is some evil bogeyman and you might even buy a property. They are just normal people.

Agents are usually pretty lazy and just want to sell it and move on. Theyve spent years sending letters, talking to this person, then months convincing them to list. Then months managing their unreal expectations, trying to kindly get them to clean their property. They arent going to commit fraud to help this client and earn a few hundred extra dollars. Just think about what youre saying.

@m32s This should be reported imo. If it was a lie, then it’s misleading and deceptive conduct in breach of consumer laws, as well as professional conduct rules.

Sure it might not definitively be a lie based on what the OP knows, but it certainly looks like one and the regulatory body should be notified.