Caught realtor in a lie - do I just have to accept this as the standard?

@lejla No why are people like you such cunts. All the agents I know are fine and normal people.

Their job isnt to get you the cheapest priced house its to sell it for their client for the most.

If you want someone on your side get a buyers agent.

@m32s This doesn't prove anything to be honest. If you didn't make your best offer which you said wouldve won that's on you and nobody else don't scapegoat the agent to feel better about it and no I don't like or defend agents usually.

Also your offers may have had difficult or more conditions than other lesser offers

@m32s I popped a letter in the mailbox to the owner of a house I'd just had my offer accepted on, as the agent had started doing some really shady crap - insisting we spoke to their finance people and insurance people or they'd withdraw the offer. The owner was furious that the agent would risk the sale to enrich themselves.

Never be afraid to open a channel of communication with the owner while you deal through the agent. Don't tell the agent you've done it.

@m32s How do you know when the real estate agent is lying? His lips are moving.

EDIT: The worst real estate agent I have personally met was Andrew Huoling. At the time I was renting an apartment that he selling as the agent. Seemed nice enough, but something was always a bit off.

The reason why he was the worst? Within 2 weeks of the property being sold, he murdered his wife and dumped the body in the freezer before fleeing to China.

@m32s I'd trust a serial killer before I trust a REA or a car salesman.

But yeah they all lie, they get paid on comms they want to sell for as much as possible (which they work for the vendor and unless they have specific requirements etc not to sell to an investor, they are doing their job)

@m32s I sympathise with you. Having bought and sold a few places. I recently sold a house and used a friend of mine as the agent. He used a web service called open offers which was awesome. It makes the whole offer process very transparent. I don't think it tells the people making offers what the amount of the offers is but it shows you how many ppl are making offers and where your offer ranks. So it provides the proof that you wanted. I wouldn't sell again a different way. It also keeps everyone up to date on offers. So when a new offer comes in everyone gets notified. Rather than the agent having to ring around and tell everyone there has been a new offer and everyone wondering if the agent has just made it up to try and push the price higher.

@m32s The other offer could have had better terms that suited the sellers more than just purely a money amount. Ie shorter/longer settlement or no conditions.

@m32s If the method of sale is "expression of interest" - put your best offer in and be willing to walk away.

I'm being pressured into putting an offer in on a property sight-unseen because the agent is suggesting it'll be sold before the open on Saturday... but he is also not willing to open it for me anytime beforehand.

Seriously, just fucking walk. These agents are scum.

@m32s I don't see the part where the agent lied? Someone may very well have told him they'll pay $X and that their budget was $X.

It seems like he was telling you the truth when he told you he wanted a counter offer of $X, and you chose not to counter offer, so he sold it to the offer he had.

You were playing games, and you lost because of those games.