Car Insurance went up 77% in the last six months. F**k Progressive

@tom960 I don't see anyone else making this point so I wanted to mention that's always a good time to call other insurance providers and ask for a quote. All insurers minimize risk by pooling a mix of safe drivers with higher risk drivers, and they use actuaries to calculate the relative risk of a person based on their traits. A divorced man is considered higher risk than a never-married woman, even if neither has ever been in an accident, for instance. Sometimes if they have too many of one kind of driver, they will raise their rates because having them is skewing their risk pool. That means just because one company raised your rates, another company won't necessarily charge you that amount, because their pool looks different.

Geico cranked up my husband's rates after he got divorced but other insurers offered him much lower rates. We ended up going back to Geico after another provider did the same thing to us as a married couple. You might be able to find a better price with another provider.

@tom960 Call them and ask if there is anything that will lower your premiums. I knocked about $150 a month off my bill by doing that.

Also see if lemonade car insurance is available in your area. Unfortunately it’s not available in mine.

@tom960 Shop around, hopefully it's not an issue with your area. They're all going up and have been for a while. Between the pandemic and the bear market, they'll be looking to farm premium to compensate for sure.

@tom960 My wife was paying essentially $400. One at fault and one not at fault collision all in a couple of months. It was a grind to get through that time but our rates have gone down thankfully. Still waiting for them to fully return but that'll take some years imagine.

@tom960 that’s so fucked up. here i thought my car insurance was expensive. if you’re looking to switch, bristol west/farmers has pretty good rates compared to some other big names

@tom960 I pay right at $100 a month with Auto Owners for full coverage on my Tacoma and about $17 a month with Dairyland for bare bones for my Triumph motorcycle

@tom960 I'm looking now! I am in my 50s, no accidents, kids grown, live alone and in the same place and job for years. Car almost paid off and they want $300 a month from $170....this is Geico.. so don't use them either.

@cekoen Here is an update on my post about Progressive jacking my rates up. I got new insurance from Costco for $380 for 6 months. That's $750 cheaper and I got higher coverage.

@tom960 OP, I didn't see anyone else mention this, but I believe a "no fault" accident applies to the collision coverage portion, not the comprehensive part which includes things like hitting a deer.

@tom960 We have GEICO and it’s gone up $50 a month in a year. I called to ask why since we haven’t had accidents or tickets in years. They told us the cost of fixing other peoples accidents and damage have gone up so our rates have gone up. It’s such bullshit.

@tom960 My car insurance just went up to $300 per month we have geico. Its so unaffordable for us with a 369 call payment, 1490 rent and 2 children (under the age if 2) with a household income less than 50k a year

@el_help_me Here is an update on my post about Progressive jacking my rates up. I got new insurance from Costco for $380 for 6 months. That's $750 cheaper and I got higher coverage.

@ponder7 Mines so high because lots of accidents in Arizona, also because I'm required to be on the insurance since car loan, title and registration is in my name and I only have a permit so I'm considered a new driver. My spouse is the sole driver of the car as I don't like driving and I'm not comfortable driving and feel anxiety when I drive.

@el_help_me That will do it. I’m in ny where we have lots of accidents but I’m not a new driver anymore. It was 200 when I started driving in 2016. The same policy now is 80.