Hi all, I’m looking at buying a 2015 Opel Adam 1.0T from my friend for R80 000, the insurers are valuing it at around R150 000. I’m 24M and getting quotes of around R950 per month with an excess of R6500+-.

At almost R1000 a month on insurance after 6 years i would’ve almost re bought the car again… any suggestions or thoughts? Is it responsible to just pay R250 a month for third party?

@boastnmyweakness Different insurers will give you vastly different quotes. Try naked (I think they do automobile insurance?) or auto and general (mines with them via the AA). Premiums and excess are also often negotiatable.

@mattlwood Was the deal that your broker found, similar in benefits to the deal you had before?

I mean, third party liability, excess, car hire and all... Was it really matching?

@boastnmyweakness It's still cheaper than writing off the money. Not everyone who's older automatically gets such good insurance rates either.

Insurance depends on your risk profile, which includes basically everything they ask you - but the biggest factors are age, gender, overnight parking location, day time parking location and whether the vehicle is considered sporty, replacement value and overall repair costs.

So the highest premium is generally for young males driving turbo engined cars, parking them in the street all the time.

@boastnmyweakness We are in south africa, the chance of your car getting stolen/rammed/crash with a drunk driver/accident due to road conditions ect are almost garunteed, better safe than sorry.

Try kingprice- they will lower your insurance as the balue drops

@boastnmyweakness Unfortunately, insurers charge much higher premiums at your age. Best thing to do is get a broker and ask them for multiple quotes. After that, review it each year and ask for lower premiums.

Just remember that insurers often give a much lower premium, but with a much higher excess, so look out for that.

One last thing: Stay away from Outsurance.

@boastnmyweakness Once you turn 25 the premium might come down. At least you could ask them to renegotiate the premium. An excess of R6500 is also pretty steep, did you ask for an additional voluntary excess to try bring the premium down? Bearing in mind that if you have a claim while you are under 25, an additional age excess might apply in addition to your basic excess and voluntary excess, if you have one.