Car insurance companies you recommend?

ktipton

I’m a g1 driver (18F) for just one more month but I need insurance now, not sure how to go about finding a good insurance company.

@ktipton You're going to have to call around as a lot of insurers will not insure a G1 driver - you don't have a license, after all, you have a permit. Some will make an exception if you are the only licensed driver in the house while some would insist that another licensed driver be listed in your place until you have your G2 - expect your rates to increase if that's the case, as they'd be rated based on their history and then you'll be rated as a new driver.

Your situation while not unique is also not super common and so will require a bit of diligence on your part.

@sovereignone I thought I might have to call around in the end, as I live with my boyfriend who recently lost his licence and I begin work in just over a week I really do need an insured vehicle, especially for my road test, I am willing to pay the up-charges for my low class of driving, thank you for your help!

@ktipton Be sure to let the insurance agent, broker or quoting program know if they had any convictions etc as this may still impact your rating when you are both licensed.

Many of the best insurance companies want a full and accurate section 4 on the OAP form. This includes G1 operators, people who have suspended or revoked licences, and more as they may have a combination of convictions or claims that could lead to claims invalidation. Usually the folks can be excluded from policy but they need to be a part of the policy in order to do that.

Good luck on your test, with hope you can book in with a driver's education operator for support on test day.

@ktipton You'll need a licensed driver on the insurance policy no matter where you go. You'll have to call around. Insurance doesn't rate higher for G1 but they do for G2.