Car Insurance - 18 y/o - Convictions HELP :c

paulsimmonds60

I am looking to finally get a car. The only problem is finding car insurance, most quotes are ridiculously high, others I don't get quotes at all. I've checked mainstream comparison websites and barely get any quotes. I was wondering if anyone can help me find a car insurance.

I'm 18 years old, my two convictions are:

IN10 - 6 POINTS - October 2016

LC20 - 0 POINTS - October 2016

I'm not sure how to reduce my premium. I want to get insured on a Mercedes-Benz CLA 200 AMG Line Night edition 4Dr Tip Auto Petrol Saloon 1.6L (Number Plate: RK68 WBT). I know it's quite a big shot of a car for an 18 year old, but I'd share it with my dad (him being the additional driver so I get my no claims bonus). I don't spend my money from work, so I'm happy to pay to it towards this car (if it's within reason). Also I'm not sure if I should wait till October 2019 to wait for my points to expire, it'd be really helpful to have a car at this stage as well. If anyone can help me find insurance/has any recommendations I'd be extremely grateful.

@relationshipwithgod You'd be surprised of the quotes that I get on other Mercedes, the same model without the night edition package I can get insured on for a reasonable amount in relation to my convictions. It's just with the night edition can't seem to find any quotes.

@paulsimmonds60 I think the reasonable answer you’re going to get from the personal finance sub is to not waste your money on such a ridiculous car you don’t need.

I know what it’s like. I did a similar thing when I was your age. I know a lot of people who did. Not one of us look back and would rather we had that car than have the money it cost us.

Do a sensible thing and get a reasonably priced car. Put the extra you would have spent on the merc away into vanguard funds for a few years. Then buy the merc.

Your insurance premiums will be half by then.

@growinginfaith1 I did the exact same thing at his age, bought a nice new A5 which I could comfortably afford at the time; worst decision I've ever made financially. Paying hundreds per month for the car and hundreds for insurance, nothing but wasted money.

@paulsimmonds60 You're fucked, proper fucked. 18 years old makes it mad expensive, the IN10 will ensure your insurance is eye wateringly expensive. Basically the quotes you're getting is because nobody wants your business.

I want to get insured on a Mercedes-Benz CLA 200 AMG Line Night edition 4Dr Tip Auto Petrol Saloon 1.6L (Number Plate: RK68 WBT)

Not a hope in hell unless you're earning a metric fuckton of money. Remember as well as insuring it you're going to be paying some seriously expensive servicing costs and you've got to afford to put money in as well as replace the tyres you'll inevitably wear to nothing doing burnouts and donuts to impress your mates.

Also I'm not sure if I should wait till October 2019 to wait for my points to expire,

It won't matter with the IN10, it'll screw you over for as long as insurance companies require you to declare it for quotes.

Time to look at something more realistic you can afford such as a Corsa or a Fiesta.

@resjudicata
(...) doing burnouts and donuts to impress your mates.

That little 1.6L 4-pot engine might let the tyres give out a little squeal as you pull away but it sure isn't going to be doing burnouts any time soon. The car sounds very fancy but its really just a cheap C-class with less toys and 2 fewer doors.

Nonetheless even I wouldn't dream about buying one at 26 y/o with a solid job and savings available. Like you say, Mercedes is expensive to own not just in servicing and wear & tear, but also in depreciation. Really not worth the money.

@camero Mercedes cars in general are a shadow of what they used to be. Anything below an S-class is basically a commodity car with below average reliability.

@nikki103 This. A guy I work with got a C class AMG on business lease. The list of faults it has had are unbelievable, even including things like the rear parcel shelf speakers being loose, the kinds of faults you wouldn't ever dream of even a Ford having. He said that if you go on the owners forums he's far from alone and he'd not have another one.

@resjudicata You've ripped me inside and out, but I guess it is the inevitable truth. I am not getting the car to impress anyone, ultimately I'm sharing it with my dad so that's why it's an overkill car for someone my age. I will probably have to downgrade, but have you got any recommendations for insurance?

@paulsimmonds60 Just use the comparison sites. You may find it cheaper to get an old man's car. My 19 year old son found it £500 cheaper to insure a 2 litre Mondeo Estate than the 1.3L Ford Fiesta whose engine he'd just grenaded. The added advantage of the Mondeo was that he became instantly invisible to Police whereas the Fiesta was regularly getting stopped.

@paulsimmonds60 Mate you have not a hope in hell of getting even reasonably cheap car insurance. Literally everything you've said bumps the price up a lot: 18 years old, licence conviction, insurance conviction, and a very expensive car too. Seems like the only way you could put it up is if you say you're going to park it in a war zone!

Give up on the dream of driving that merc mate, because without a minor lottery win its going to be nowhere near worth it.

My advice is to buy yourself an old, cheap car and drive that until your points fall off IF you need to drive. Honestly you could buy a half decent runabout, fuel it and maintain it for less than you'd pay for insurance on the merc. I'd even go as far as to say buy an old scooter, insure it for the minimum and park it up until you get a decent NCD. Seriously pal there's better things to spend your money on.

Also, I had a quick Google of your convinctions and it appears the insurance one drops off after 4 years so it'll be October 2020 before they dissappear.

You might not like what I've said here, but you do have some pretty major convictions there and this is the consequences of that =/ annoying, I know but it is what it is.

@christaj I appreciate everything you have said here. It is hard with my convictions it's absolutely crazy some insurance quotes I get. If you can give me some recommendations for some insurance companies I'd appreciate that too. Hopefully if I can get some things to work I'll update this thread.

@paulsimmonds60 Elephant mate. They do a deal where they'll insure you for 10 months and give you a no claims discount for a year. They're pretty reasonable on the phone, too. Start with price comparison websites, find the lowest quote, and phone elephant and tell them what it is. See if you can that price pro-rata for the 10 months.

Once you're on the phone, get comfortable because my phone calls to them are about 45mins to an hour. It's worth the phone bill. Tell the person up front that you're like everyone else and want cheap car insurance! Most of their phone operators are sound as so work with them. See what brings it down. Add your dad, your grannie, your SO.. whoever. Find the cheapest combination! I do this every year and I always end up saving heaps! (got both my car and the Mrs full comp for £500 this year)

@christaj Excellent buddy, I do plan on calling some people up today, I will do that today and see the outcome of it. I did do an online quote with them and I didn't get one from them, but hopefully when I contact them they'll be able to help me.

Good on you for getting all that insurance for a good price, thanks for helping me. I'll update later if it goes my way aha.