Car has been in shop for 1.5 months. What do I do about rental reimbursement?

bob

Car has been in shop for 1.5 months. Coverage for rental reimbursement is $40 for 30 days.

The shop has been dragging their feet finding a part. They said a part was coming for 2 weeks straight, but had no tracking number or anything to provide me.

I would call them daily and tell them to get a new part. Finally, after 3 weeks, they find an aftermarket part but now the repair with the new part is "more difficult than expected" and may take a total of being in the shop 2 months to fix.

Gonna be out a thousand dollars just for rental. What can I do to have insurance cover this??

@bob Sounds like you are using your rental coverage. If that’s the case, it’s unlikely for the insurance company to cover the additional rental. Perhaps the shop may cover it. If there an at fault party that caused the accident, their insurance may cover the additional rental.

Is the shop within the insurance company network system or did you use your own shop? Network shops may help out with a rental.

@bob Your own policy is not going to pay for additional rental above the policy limits in this situation.

You can try to get the shop to pay or if another party caused the damage to your vehicle you can try to get their insurance to pay, but parts delays are a widespread issue so there may not be any recourse for you here.

@bob If youre using your own insurance, they will not pay more than the policy contract allows, which is $40 a day for 30 days. You can ask the shop to cover it, but whether they will or not is unknown.