Canadians might not be getting enough fruits and vegetables / Les Canadiens et Canadiennes ne consomment peut-être pas assez de fruits et de légumes.

@pastordon2006 Yes! Who can blame them, berries are like the closest thing to candy that grows in nature 😂 But I don’t let my toddler eat as many as she wants; I don’t want her to get a stomachache (and I want to eat some berries too - we don’t buy them all the time because they’re so pricey).

@pastordon2006 Picture cookie monster, but with berries. That's the average toddler. My toddler can eat 3/4 of a $10 basket of blueberries to himself in one sitting. Frozen blueberries are a bad option because they leak juice and stain once defrosted. Fresh berries are not nearly as messy.

@audreyl The fact that 18.4% of Canadians report food insecurity is a HUGE problem. So in the average classroom of 20-30 students, 4-6 of the kids PER CLASSROOM are starving?

@kephas My children’s school has a program where any child can go to the front desk at any time for a snack, and any child can get a hot lunch for free. Annual cost is around $30,000 for 400 students.

@kephas Yes. Luckily there are many programs to help kids in our schools whose family has food insecurities.

Whether it’s free breakfast or donated foods discreetly dropped off for their family.

Unfortunately this means those children have much worse nutrition during their breaks from school.

@kephas The trouble is that averages are notoriously poor at communicating reality. You could go into a school in the bedroom community in my region and 0% of kids have food insecurity and the school has so much private funding that they roll around food carts full of healthy snacks for kids and teachers. Then you go to the inner city schools and you've got kids talking about blowing cabbies so they can afford to feed their siblings. My province has one of the highest rates of child poverty, but the rich suburban idiots hide out in their rich bedroom communities and turn a blind eye to it. They'd rather stay busy trying to ban gay kids from the public schools.

@audreyl
However, the proportion of Canadians aged 12 and older who consumed fruits and vegetables five or more times per day—including pure fruit juice, and frozen or canned fruits and vegetables—declined about 10 percentage points (from 31.5% to 21.8%) from 2015 to 2021.

Who tf is even eating 5 or more times per day? What a weird thing to base this off of.

Back