Canadians might not be getting enough fruits and vegetables / Les Canadiens et Canadiennes ne consomment peut-être pas assez de fruits et de légumes.

@tinywonderland That's such a meaningless, over used term.

Fruit juice has things removed and things combined, if that to you is "processed". Still better than what most people are drinking.

@tinywonderland There literally aren't.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/what-are-processed-foods

Processed foods refer to any food that’s changed from its natural state. This can include food that was simply cut, washed, heated, pasteurized, canned, cooked, frozen, dried, dehydrated, mixed, or packaged. It also can include food that has added preservatives, nutrients, flavors, salts, sugars, or fats.

It's an absolutely meaningless term and you clearly have been swept up in mass hysteria.

Juice is fruit. Generally it's the concentrated sugary part (eg pulp removed), mixed with other juices, and undoubtedly worse than actual fruit, but calling it "processed" is ridiculous.

@shiny1707 Erm, there actually is a difference between "processed," which is what you linked, and "ultra-processed." Maybe a better term would be frankenfood or enshittified food. If you really do sit down and look into the things corporations are putting into our food is a bit concerning. Like for example, did you know many brands of ice cream have been removing the dairy and replacing it with wood pulp? Of course they don't call it wood pulp, they call it Microcrystalline Cellulose. And sure the wood pulp likely isn't harmful, but it makes the ice cream taste shittier.

@tinywonderland I tried looking for a definition, but it's extremely loose and feels like a misnomer. It's the ingredients added that make something unhealthy, not the actual processing. Miso can be considered ultra processed because it's turning the proteins and starches into amino acids and sugars that do not resemble the raw ingredients, but it is extremely healthy. I just don't think calling something ultra processed actually helps in defining the health value of a food.

@kevin33 Yeah they're just being realistic and chasing small wins. Juice would certainly be an improvement over the Starbucks milkshakes my generations seems to live off.

Back