Canada EI Employment Insurance - Possible Fines due to weekly reporting requirements and paycheck withheld every 2 weeks?

@montana1056 No, I did not appeal back in 2020. I had only recieve the first notice for EI suing me, more than 1 year after the fact. I got this most threatening letter around 2023.

The timelines imposed by the Canadian government is extremely unfair. The can sue you up to 3 years or more after the facrts, but only give you up to 6 weeks after each week report to correct it. Think about how utterly unfair this is.

@dekta09 6 weeks for 1 person to fix a mistake vs a few thousands employees for fixing millions of mistakes. That's why they get longer than you do, you worry about you. They may have 1 person worrying about thousands of people.

@dekta09 I don’t know I don’t think you did anything wrong intentionally, but there must be something else that flagged that in their system just seems really odd. That long time has passed but you know pandemic who knows governor starting to go after people who used to get me know scammed all those benefits Serban shit like that, after saying they wouldn’t you who knows I would just pay it. It’s so old and so long ago I don’t. I will just eat it. Check your credit report though because they could be messing with that.

@dekta09 Being paid 2 weeks in arrears is pretty common, especially for large companies with substantial payroll runs. Sorry to say, but your lack of faith in the company doesn't change the hours that you worked out your obligation to report them to EI. Your best course is probably to try to work on bettering your employment options and working with the gov't to clear up any money owing.

@yeshua7777777kp It was very tiring night shift work, made my memory foggy.

And how was I suppose to know that the EI department is so ruthless, chasing for fines 3 years after the fact! If I had known earlier, I would have made my own work entry journal, logging the hours I had worked eacy day.

But then can you see how unkind and overly demanding that the EI department is!

@dekta09 Yes. How could you possibly have been aware that if you lied there would be consequences and they would demand the money back. I mean... it's not like it's not in the declaration you agree to when you submit your hours... and been there for decades.

More like... how could you possibly have known you would be caught...

@mt67
"and been there for decades."

That is your claim too, without providing any real pictorial proof of the EI reporting website from back in 2019, which would imply you may have a time machine.

Since we are both using anecdotal evidences, I think they even each other out.

You also had failed to acknowledge my facts, about stressful night shift work causing jet-lag like conditions, about the delay of the paystub being mailed and recieved, and how overly demanding the EI department is. If a judge fails to acknowledge these factors in the decision, then I would defintely try to file for an appeal.

I say if I had recieved every single paystub on time, then I would not have this overpayment problem in the first place, and would not have to guess-calculate my own weekly pay being held in arrears, as I had orginally intended to report accurate income figures every single week.

@dekta09 The most awesome thing about the internet... everything is available forever. And it usually doesn't take long to find. Here's a youtube video showing the Canadian EI online reports from start to finish. It mentions gross pay... before deductions. And at 15:12 it talks about giving false information is fraud and there are penalties for fraud.

I mean... it's videos, not pictures but still... maybe just a little bit... less... anecdotal than you thought after all, eh?

PS: You act like you're the only one who has ever worked shift work resulting in "jet-lag like conditions"🤣

I worked multiple jobs for decades... and with the last multiple job scenario worked Monday 8-5, Tuesday 8-5 Wednesday from 8am to 11pm, Friday from 8am to 1am, and Sunday 11-5 regularly... and that didn't count shifts I covered for others.

If you are working enough hours to be suffering from "jet-lag like conditions" you probably weren't eligible for ei...

@dekta09 You do the report at the end of the week. At the end of the week you know how many hours you worked cuz you already worked them. You know your hourly pay. So you should have been able to provide all the answers needed. I worked snow removal on call while receiving ei so was in a similar boat but had no issues reporting accurate numbers.

The right thing would have been to call and ask how best to approach this if you didn’t know.

Because you didn’t follow the rules, you need to pay it back.

You can try calling and asking about it but the reality is you got ei for hours you claimed you didn’t work but did and that’s why they are asking for it back.

@fire The problem is the rules were NOT CLEAR on the website back in 2019. I had no idea if I had to use Net Pay or Gross Pay figure.
Since the paystub is biweekly that arrives late 2 weeks later, and there is time pressure is to report it at end of each week, so I use half amount for each week.

Plus it is not easy to caclulate the figures per week ahead of time., because of deductions, overtime and allowances figured into the calcuations. Deductions can become more if one earns more per week. This corporation had strange rules about overtime payment I have no idea before hand, there is no way I can calculate it clearly, like 1.5X payment if under 4 hours of overtime per week, then 2X payment if over it, etc.

Canadian government phone lines have long waiting time of several hours, sometimes even unreliable connections. Much better if the rules were provided right on the reporting website.

@dekta09 You really had "no idea" whether a Crown corporation was "honourable" enough to pay you for your hours worked?

I'm an on-call casual with CP as well, and I collected EI for a brief period at the beginning of my employment with them. It's not so hard.

Canada Post is actually really transparent about pay and hours worked.

Everything you do has a time value. Your supervisor inputs your hours worked into ESS every day. You can easily log in at any time of the day or night to see exactly how many hours you worked every day. It's under "Time Management."

If that weren't enough, you can access your pay stubs online on the Sunday before payday.

Yes, we're paid an extra week in arrears compared to permanent employees, but this really doesn't matter because EI is paying you based on what you worked that week - doesn't matter if you have the money yet or not. It's not "withholding pay", it's just "being paid in arrears" which is pretty standard.

@gordonc50 No, in my view, Canada Post was dishonest & shady & cheapskate back in 2019 and 2020. I have no idea when I was going to get called for work after some 2 days inital training back in October, waited over 2 months afterwards before I got called to work. The delays in recieving paystub made me very suspicious. They even put "overpayment recovery" as part of my earnings, when it effect it is a deduction to my pay!

And There was no ESS or any online paystub offered to new temp workers back in 2019 when I had worked:
I had no way to know the figures ahead of time, plus unstable hours on call based every single day. The 2 week withholding plus mail delay, means I cannot report the "allocated earning" on time per the end of each week.

Also being held in more than 2 weeks in arrears and made me unable to report it on the correct figure on the EI reporting website, as alleged by the EI department. My main problem here is with the unfairness of the Canadian government EI department itself, ruthlessly chasing for fines and penalties 3 years after the fact. The tardiness and delays within Canada Post is only a contributing factor.

But for fairness sake, maybe the whole "coronavirus lockdown" starting back in 2020 Jan is a valid reason why the delays happened back then.

Hopefully the situation has improved for all the lower level frontline workers at Canada Post afterwards. The greedy scheming ruthless overly-paid upper management tyrants deserves no sympathy.

@dekta09 Now Service Canada AND Canada Post are dishonest, shady cheapskates. 🤣

Maybe owning your own dishonest shady cheapskate behaviour will make your situation better.

@mt67 It takes a thief to know a thief, right ;)

Nah just kidding. The bigger, richer people, are defintely the bigger thieves here! Factually speaking.

@dekta09
I have no idea when I was going to get called for work

Yup. That's what being on call is like. This should have been clearly explained to you.

I, like you, worked on call while I was on EI. You can't blame anyone but yourself for your misreporting. When you claim EI, you're expected to track your hours worked. You don't need a pay stub for that. Keep a note of how many hours you worked on what days. Multiply that by your rate of pay. That's all the information you need for your EI filing.

@gordonc50 Nobody told me these info before either. As I had stated before, I have never worked for this corporation before Winter 2019. No information was forthcoming from the HR or supervisors side either. I learned of this situtaion too late from the government, couple years afterwards. And I have never been in this job situation before, where I try to claim partial EI while working part-time / seasonal temporary.

Anyways, thanks for these info will help others in similiar situations going forward, to help others avoid the clawbacks and threatening letters from EI government, going forward.