[California] Very specific Hybrid/UI question, need help. (W-2 UI approved)

allyssablayde

This topic has been covered, I know. But my question is a little more specific, hopefully someone can help.

In 2019 I received W-2 pay for a job that I quit, and left on good terms early in the year.

I also received 1099 pay as a gig-worker, from work I did AFTER leaving the W-2 job.

When I applied for PUA, I filled out the application according to their directions, so that it would be processed as PUA. I told them I was self employed, and how much 1099 money I made, and that all the work disappeared because of COVID. I never once mentioned my W-2 job at all.

My application was approved, however it got approved as UI. Not as PUA.

I am worried because I don't want my former W2 employer to get dinged for this and have to pay more taxes because of my claim. I left on my own free will, and I am still on good terms. This would really be a blow to our relationship, not to mention I feel bad that he would be getting punished when I quit on my own accordance.

Does anybody know if my ex- W-2 employer will get dinged, since EDD approved my application as UI (rather than PUA)?

Is there any piece of paper they mailed me, or anywhere online that I can check to see the status of this?

If he in fact WILL get dinged..... is there some way I can fix this by calling them? What would I even say?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Notes:

When EDD mailed me my "acceptance" letter, One page said I claimed my employer was "N/A 99999". However on the second page, it listed my W-2 wages including name of my ex-employer. That's what has me worried.

@allyssablayde Your employer will get dinged. It's just the way it is. They approved your application as ui because you had enough w2 wages in the base period.

You want to fix what? There is no way around it.

@allyssablayde I am in a very, very similar boat. I have come to the conclusion that my claim was accepted as regular UI based on the W2 job I quit (which doesn't make sense and shouldn't have been). I assume I am continuing to receive benefits because either my employer was such a large corporation they didn't bother contesting it, or EDD accepted people so fast that they will come back asking me to pay it back later.

I was worried about my relationship with my last employer too, but the claim must have gone to corporate and I'm not sure my old boss/colleagues were even notified about it. If you have a smaller company/employer that you are worried about, you could just be honest and say you had to list your work history and that you are not intending to collect from them? I waited and waited for my claim to get denied based on my W2 quit so I could apply with my actual 1099 gig but that hasn't happened yet and its been almost 4 months. I wrote a message and never heard back. I called and the rep said if I quit then I shouldn't be receiving benefits and will have to pay it back, but that since I was on regular UI there is no way to switch to PUA (awesome -_-).

@joeychris Will do.

I hope they can just make some minor changes in my account.

Or worst case scenario they let me cancel it and re-apply with new and proper filing instructions, so that my UI claim gets denied, and I can get PUA.

@allyssablayde In Illinois it happens the same way. You cannot get PUA if you qualify for UI. Here, people are denied for quitting their W2 jobs and are having to provide proof of income from their 1099 jobs to overturn the denial. I'm not sure if the former employer remains chargeable or if those benefits are drawn from a "pool" of money that exists for situations like this.

You can't switch programs by your choice, though. And your weekly benefit amount might be lower because it's based on your W2 income but you can't change that, either.