[California] so EDD filed an extension on 4/8 after my BYE and I didn’t file a new claim

christianboy44

I was in the middle of filing a new claim when I received a text saying additional weeks were added and saw the Determination for Pandemic Unemployment Compensation in my inbox like before so I thought everything was normal and didn’t continue filing. I was even able to certify again that day and was paid on the 9th for weeks ending 3/27 and 4/3.

I certified for the next two weeks Saturday night/Sunday evening which is now still on pending when it would have usually been paid within hours of certifying. I’m giving it a week before I call but anybody else have any idea what’s going on? I’ve read the payment is pending because it’s a new quarter for EDD, another person said it because they’re weeding out fraud claims. Anyone got an actual concrete explanation from calls theyve made?

@christianboy44 Depending on what program you were on: PUA= Do Not file new claim. All others need to file new claim. The federal extension and filing a new claim for another year are 2 different actions.
You may want to give them a call.

@christianboy44 Same thing happened to me. I got a letter 2 weeks ago stating i am being added to a 3rd extension, so i figured they did everything for me. I should also add my year ended a while ago. I started receiving unemployment on 4/5/20 so im assuming my years up. I was able to certify but on pending. Alot of people told me to refile even tho everything looks good on my end. So i did 2 days ago. Everything still the same. Now im wondering if me refilling was the right move or should i have just waited? Also ive tried calling edd numerous times (at times 6 hours a day with out any luck) and cant get a hold of anyone. Supper frustrated and worried. Hope we all get answers soon. Bills due in 2 weeks

@tniles408 If you were paid all this time then should wait and see what is happening. If your certification goes to pending and stay in pending for more than a day, read next.

If you work and made more then 1300 file new claim online. Mind you, it will take 2 to 6 weeks for you to get pay again because of the 3rd party review.

If you didn't work or made more then 1300, call and have the rep bypass refiling and put your claim into extension. So you won't spend time waiting for your certification to be paid.

@hey_dude777 This is good advice (what the OP above said). For regular UI people (W2 workers, not gig or self-employed), if you reach the end of your benefit year, you must refile for a new claim. IF you had earnings in 2020, then there is no way around this, and you'll have to wait 2-3 weeks for your new claim to be verified. HOWEVER, if you had no earnings in 2020, then you still need to file a new claim BUT you can call EDD and a rep who wants to be helpful can do it for you. Because there's no 2020 earnings to review. So they simply put you back on your old claim and extend the benefit year. The 2020 earnings issue is one thing that's causing a lot of confusion about whether to file ort not file, and whether an EDD rep can do it for you and keep your payments coming.

@tniles408 Some people are reporting different experiences, but generally, if your BYE runs out and you don't file a new claim, your weekly payments will go "Pending" until you do file a new claim. Then it will take 2-3 weeks for that new claim to be reviewed and verified by EDD. During that time, you continue certifying and your payments will go on Pending. When your review is complete, the Pending payments will go to Paid. If that doesn't happen after 3 weeks, call in and make sure there are no flags or blocks on your account.