[California] Got 1 day of contract work. Can I continue to certify for benefits in the weeks following?

mousa

I recently qualified for unemployment after my workplace went out of business. I have been looking for work, and was able to take a 1 day job. I worked that day last week, but since it was just a one time thing I am continuing my job hunt and am still unemployed. While I know I will not qualify for benefits for the week that I found the 1 day job, I am wondering if I will be able to continue certifying for benefits for the following weeks. I was unable to find any work the week after, so I would like to certify for it, but am unsure if EDD will allow me to after putting that I worked a day the week before. Sorry if this is a stupid question, first time going through all this.

@mousa You’ll report your gross wages from the 1-day job when you certify for the week in which you earned them, not when they are paid, if later. Depending on how much you earned you may receive a partial UI benefit for that week or you the earnings may result in no benefits payable to you that week.

When you next certify for benefits, and do not report any wages, you’ll likely have to reopen your claim and provide the information on the new separating employer. The reasons you don’t have that job anymore will need to be investigated. This usually results in a hold being placed on your benefit payments. This is generally the case regardless of whether that 1-day gig was W-2 employment or 1099 independent contractor. For most UI claimants, unless that 1-day gig is quite lucrative or gets your foot in the door for something more permanent, it is not worth the hassle you are about to go through.

@mousa If you can call, do. Sometimes you can explain it was just a one day job and it will keep your claim from being on hold for too long.