[CALIFORNIA] Claim balance is at 0, benefit year ends on 5/2/21 do I reapply?

isthaail13

My balance is at 0, I still haven’t got the 29 week extension, when I check why type I am on it says Extension tier 2. Everytime I log in it gives me the option to reapply. What do I do?

@isthaail13 Tier 2 means you are on regular UI and yes, you will need to reapply, but not quite yet. You can reapply up to 5 days before your old claim expires. So if your Benefit Year ends 5/2/2021, then you can apply for a new claim on or after this Wednesday, April 28, 2021. Personally, I waited until the day after my partner's benefit year ended just to avoid any possible overlap, since if anything can go wrong or get confused at EDD, it will. But many people are applying just before the benefit year ends. It probably doesn't matter one way or the other.

@isthaail13 If you reapply online, the extension *should* be added automatically. You should continue certifying, but your payments may be pending for 2-3 weeks, which is how long EDDD is taking to "review" all new claims. After that, or while you are waiting, the extension should be added. If that doesn't happen after a few weeks, or if your payments remain stuck in pending beyond the 3-week review period, then you'll need to call in. It's very hit and miss--some people are going through the system without a hitch, others are running into problems.

@isthaail13 My dad is in the same boat.

According to the rep, call Monday to have the extension added to your claim. Cause one of the questions that they’re asked is if there is still a balance in your claim. They can answer no to that question and have the extension added to your claim.

That’s just according to the rep and it’s what I’m gonna do for my dad.